Compass Point vs Lighthouse Point...both excellent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron and I serve together on the CITA Board of Directors. Sadly Chef Ron had to sell Eagle Rays, and one of his other east side restaurants due to the lack of business from the COVID border closure. I just spoke to him last week about this, and the Eagle Rays does have a new owner and will be back up and running at some point.

In good news for those of us on the West Side, Ron will be opening a Tukka West, at the former location of Catch restaurant in Morgans Harbor. Sad to see Catch go, they are another victim of the border closure, but Tukka will be a nice addition.

Tony

Sorry to here about Eagle Rays. Let's hope the vaccine puts Covid behind us so that we may all move forward.

does compass offer a meal plan besides just breakfast?

If you want an all-inclusive Cayman dive resort with a full meal plan take a look at Cobalt Coast/Reef Divers on Grand Cayman (it's on the west side but beyond Lighthouse Point). Or look at the dive resorts in the Cayman Sister Islands of Little Cayman and Cayman Brac.

+1 for the recommendation by @KathyV

I have stayed at Cobalt Coast twice, before it became part of the Clearly Cayman collection, Divetech was still the operator. Nice resort, 1 bedroom suites are very comfortable, good food. I have used Reef Divers on Little Cayman and Cayman Brac, fine operator. Boats leave from the resort when conditions allow, if not, you are bussed to the West Bay Dock. Good shore diving from the resort, again, when conditions allow. Short drive to other good shore diving at Lighthouse Point and Turtle Reef. I would have a car, to get into West Bay, SMB, Georgetown and for sight seeing.

I have never stayed at Lighthouse Point but have shore dived there, very nice. I have stayed at Compass Point twice and dived with Ocean Frontiers. OF might be the best shore based operator I have used. I like the rooms and actually prefer to do much of the cooking myself. Only drawback, essentially no shore diving.

I stayed at Cobalt Coast during the Divetech days twice. It's away from other bars and restaurants, but with a car or taxi you can get there quickly. The west side gives you far more shore diving options, if you want to supplement your boat diving.

It's only a 5 minute drive from Cobalt to Turtle Reef, Hepp's and Lighthouse if you want west side shore diving as well. The Shore diving right off the dock from Cobalt is excellent. If the weather cooperates, I could dive the Cobalt miniwall every day. I've stayed at Cobalt and liked the food, bar, vibe and shore diving. The dive op, Reef Divers, IMO is one of the best anywhere. As pointed out, Cobalt is way off the beaten path, but then so is Compass Point.

It's also about a 10-15 minute drive from Lighthouse down to 7MB area.

Back
Top Bottom