Covid testing in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you disclose where this is that will give you two weeks free if you test positive? I have a trip planned in March....

We’re staying at Cozumel Palace, but I think Secrets and Sunscape are offering the same benefits. Cozumel Palace also has a two for one sale going on right now. You can buy one week to use it now, and then you can use your second week sometime before June 15.

We are still going - just staying somewhere they offer the test on property and offer the free two weeks if we test positive.

Take it from someone who just spent 2 weeks in Coz in December. You are going to feel far safer there than in the US and your chances of contracting Covid if you practice best practices to avoid contracting it are so low that it should not present any concern. That is precisely what my Dr. told me when I visited him 2 weeks prior to our departure for my annual physical and told him we were traveling to Coz.

He told us to wear masks, wash hands frequently, sanitize hands every time we walked past a sanitizer dispenser (they are absolutely everywhere on Coz), try to remember not to touch your face and practice social distancing when possible. It's not that taking any one of these measures by itself eliminates risk but when all are combined it mitigates risk to a level that one shouldn't be fearful of going about their life and their planned travel.

My Dr. told me he still travels abroad and he's is in his mid 60's. He's also a bit overweight and on blood pressure meds and a statin for cholesterol. No, he's not some hack but the most Sr. doctor at his branch of Sentara Healthcare. Sentara resides among the best medical providers on the east coast. It's heart hospital even rivals the Cleveland Clinic. I chose to take his advice over those who are frozen in fear and of the opinion that the world must cease functioning until the last case of Covid has been treated and eliminated.

If you want to reduce your risk even further, go on Ebay and purchase a 10 pack of the 3M N95 Vented 8511 series masks. The key that everyone seems to miss about mask wearing is the masks 99% of people are wearing are supposedly to protect others once infected as they do virtually nothing to prevent the wearer from becoming infected in the 1st place. That is putting the cart before the horse. You can get a 10 pack today for $30 from Prosafety through Ebay that has been supplying the contracting industry with hazmat gear for years (myself included).

As these masks are vented you'll need to wear one of those cheap disposable common paper medical masks over them that everyone else wears to remain in compliance with the no vented mask requirement on the planes. Don't listen to anyone who says consuming these masks is taking supply away from 1st responders as they are not permitted to wear vented masks in medical environments.

We wore these N95 masks in the airports, on the planes, and whenever in a supermarket on Coz. We wore basic masks everywhere else when in close proximity to others. For those who say we are selfish and could have been spreading Covid everywhere by wearing these vented masks, a simple piece of tape placed over the valve on the inside of the mask per 3M's direction turns it into a mask that is as effective at protecting others as the common non-vented N95's they produce. In fact, to even get the cool vent valve to open on an exhale you'd have to be breathing very hard due to exercising and the like.

Ebay link:

3M 8511 N95 Particulate Respirator W/Exhalation Valve 10 Masks/Box, EXP. 12/2025 | eBay

I have a friend who just returned from the Caribbean (I don't know where). They needed a negative test prior to leaving Colorado for their trip. The test they took, given by our county, was a mouth swab. She told us they rinsed with peroxide just prior to getting swabbed. I would assume they did not tell the tester that...
They used nose swab for my test. However, in any case, though H2O2 degrades RNA, the reaction is somewhat slow. They had to keep mouthfuls of 1% peroxide all the way to the testing facility for any effect.

Just read a news feed this morning coming from someone in the Biden administration. Basically saying that the incoming administration will uphold the January 26 travel restrictions and implement new, stronger restrictions as well. I will try to find it

Just read a news feed this morning coming from someone in the Biden administration. Basically saying that the incoming administration will uphold the January 26 travel restrictions and implement new, stronger restrictions as well. I will try to find it

I'm worried that could mean requiring PCR.

Can someone explain how a resort such as Palace can offer 2 weeks if tested positive.
That’s a busy place and just think of the logistics of doing it?
Maybe you’ll have a room somewhere but in the resort, maybe, maybe not. For sure you won’t be laying around the pool or dining in the restaurants.
I’m sure health officials will be notified of positive tests, will they monitor your quarantine?

Can someone explain how a resort such as Palace can offer 2 weeks if tested positive.
That’s a busy place and just think of the logistics of doing it?
The similarities between the announcements from the resorts that offer this service suggest to me that they have all purchased some sort of insurance to cover their losses in the event that they have to deliver it. Since they are running at reduced capacity they have rooms standing vacant, so a room for anyone who needs it shouldn't be a problem for them as long as they are not overwhelmed. The fact that it is offered at all says to me that they do not think the risk is all that great.

Biden to block Trump's plan to lift COVID-19 European travel restrictions
Basically now that all US bound international travelers need a negative test prior to travel the outgoing administration lifted the previously imposed blanket bans for various designated countries. The incoming administration appears to be vaguely announcing a refusal to lift the bans in what looks like one-upmanship. It would not surprise me if they also were to disallow the rapid tests and if so many countries (Mexico included) may not have the infrastructure to be able to comply with the volume of lab tests required.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom