Fatality Vancouver BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never had a scooter class, but some of the protocols are interesting to me. Perhaps it is specific to the model of scooter, but what do you do when it stick "on" and will not shut off? This can happen from issues with the switch position or sticking, but can also be induced by a salt water leak into the scooter and shorting it out.

What do you do? I can image that a really powerful scooter could be a real handful if it takes off on its own.

A proper class will teach you (and require you to perform such actions).

Simply put, the way to stop a ‘runaway’ DPV ideally is to remove its ability to move water and produce thrust.

One can do that several ways depending on the features of the DPV.

External battery disconnect.

Adjust the prop to a 0 pitch.

The other methods should work for every tow behind DPV

Drive it into a structure (wall, rock, feature, etc) to prevent it going ‘forward’

Pull the shroud into your body, removing the outputted thrust

Jam your prop with your hand or other object.

Aside from the battery disconnect, there is no way to stop the DPV short of the batteries draining if it is an issue you can’t fix the cause of the failure.

Regarding the scenario of the deceased, a runaway DPV, lost mask and lost reg isn’t a fun day for even the best of divers.

Add in the initial major incident (unexpected runaway DPV), it’s one of those scenarios that doesn’t leave much of a warning to any member of a team.

_R

I'm really surprised these things don't have some sort of kill switch on a lanyard, like a jetski does. Also somewhat surprised the don't have a two handed on switch like many hydraulic presses have.

Expect to see these features soon courtesy of your friendly neighborhood lawyers.

I'm really surprised these things don't have some sort of kill switch on a lanyard, like a jetski does. Also somewhat surprised the don't have a two handed on switch like many hydraulic presses have.

Expect to see these features soon courtesy of your friendly neighborhood lawyers.

the kill switch is usually your hand. Take your hand off, and the thing stops. Since it’s attached to you, some sort of a lanyard activated kill method (like on a jet ski) wouldn’t work because it doesn’t get far enough away from you to pull the lanyard.

two hands is bad because then you can’t adjust your buoyancy, clear your ears, clear your mask, look around with your light, run a reel, etc if both hands are required to operate the scooter.

A proper class will teach you (and require you to perform such actions).

Simply put, the way to stop a ‘runaway’ DPV ideally is to remove its ability to move water and produce thrust.

One can do that several ways depending on the features of the DPV.

External battery disconnect.

Adjust the prop to a 0 pitch.

The other methods should work for every tow behind DPV

Drive it into a structure (wall, rock, feature, etc) to prevent it going ‘forward’

Pull the shroud into your body, removing the outputted thrust

Jam your prop with your hand or other object.

Aside from the battery disconnect, there is no way to stop the DPV short of the batteries draining if it is an issue you can’t fix the cause of the failure.

Regarding the scenario of the deceased, a runaway DPV, lost mask and lost reg isn’t a fun day for even the best of divers.

Add in the initial major incident (unexpected runaway DPV), it’s one of those scenarios that doesn’t leave much of a warning to any member of a team.

_R
thanks

Just my two cents,

Sounds like you are task overloaded at the start with one of these things.

Question on DPVs - is it common/usual to be connected by a tow line to the DPV? To me this seems to introduce a lot more risks than being able to let go of it. Of course no connection means much easier to lose your DPV.

Question on DPVs - is it common/usual to be connected by a tow line to the DPV? To me this seems to introduce a lot more risks than being able to let go of it. Of course no connection means much easier to lose your DPV.
Yes. This is the way.

Interesting bit of the manual for Yamaha DPVs (first DPV manual I found in a google search):

For US version : The Professional Dive Li series unit can be operated by pushing only one trigger or both triggers at the same time. ...

For EU version : Push both Triggers to start the Propeller

I'm guessing EU safety standards are behind the difference.

DiveX makes a trigger guard that can be fitted to the older model Sierra involved in this incident. Not sure how to get one or the cost

Back
Top Bottom