How many line markers do you carry?

How many of each cave marker do you use?

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • 4-5

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • 6-7

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • 8-10

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • 10+

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Own? A crap load

Bring? 1-2 more than is planned for the dive. Gives a extra if I loose one, and 1 for lite exploring/lost teammate off line...

If I don’t know how many is required for the dive, chances are, I’m not ready for the dive...

_R

I carry:

6 white clothespins, marked with red/white reflective tape and initials (I had 7 but one is still in Harvey's on the Crystal Room Circuit. )

2 white cookies with initials and smiley faces (in the rare event that I run out of clothespins)

2 white line arrows with initials at the top and bottom of my pigtail (For emergency use)

Harvey’s is a mysterious place

Yikes, that has the potential of putting other people in danger. This is one of the contributing causes to the double fatality in Madison.
Whatever, you are just doing the karstdvr contrarian thing again.

Let's see your "everyone is saved and alive plus there is never any ambiguity" lost diver search protocol

Whatever, you are just doing the karstdvr contrarian thing again.

Let's see your "everyone is saved and alive plus there is never any ambiguity" lost diver search protocol

Far from being a contrarian, there are real examples where dire situations with a line arrow facing the wrong way have caused fatalities and near misses. I know your comment was to be damned with system line arrows if there is a silt bomb,but accurate navigation not counter to existing line arrows becomes critical for a safe exit for all parties, including those who are trying to exit, and aren't part of the emergency. You make an appropriate quote, if someone has a Jesus take the wheel approach, they shouldn't be cave/technical diving.

Alright, it seems like for now, I should be good if I make sure I have 10 of each type "available", and likely that will mean extras for a long time (not planning on taking all 30 on a dive anytime soon lol).

Anyone else make their own? I went with standard(ish?) sizes (match pretty much with the sizes I got from divegearexpress) but modified the general layout slightly, and embossed my initials so I can feel them. Does anyone have different sizes they prefer (I know one of the REM designs I initially found on thingverse was quite a bit smaller than the REM I ended up making to more closely match the ones I had previously bought)? Any particular reason you like that particular change in size?

Here's a sampling of what I've made so far (still have to clean them up, but pretty good quality already):

Line Markers.jpg

I prefer the smaller REMs, the DGX REMs are huge and hard to carry. My cookies are also on the smaller side too.

Number of cookies for me is mission specific. I've been on dives where I dropped 12-13 cookies. I don't do team cookies so I always drop my own marker. Honestly if there is any ambiguity I drop a cookie (back to back arrows, exit changes, sink holes/gaps or even if I have been going for a while and haven't seen any markers for a while)

I voted 6 but I usually have more. I keep 3 on light head and a more on surgical tubing in the small pocket of my drysuit.

REMS are cool. I have few but my cookies are essentially REMs. I have them marked with electrical tape and specific markings that indicate exit direction only to me.

Alright, it seems like for now, I should be good if I make sure I have 10 of each type "available", and likely that will mean extras for a long time (not planning on taking all 30 on a dive anytime soon lol).

Anyone else make their own? I went with standard(ish?) sizes (match pretty much with the sizes I got from divegearexpress) but modified the general layout slightly, and embossed my initials so I can feel them. Does anyone have different sizes they prefer (I know one of the REM designs I initially found on thingverse was quite a bit smaller than the REM I ended up making to more closely match the ones I had previously bought)? Any particular reason you like that particular change in size?

Here's a sampling of what I've made so far (still have to clean them up, but pretty good quality already):

View attachment 637139

those look nice. the halcyon cookies/arrows are also nice and worth checking out for size comparison- they're a bit more compact than the ones dgx sells

I prefer the smaller REMs, the DGX REMs are huge and hard to carry. My cookies are also on the smaller side too.

Taking it over with my normal buddy we agreed that a bit smaller for the REM would probably be good, so I resized those to 70 mm long. With the test prints finished I moved to making them. Just gotta finish printing the REMs and I'll be ready to start making them for him as well.

I also ended up going 12 of each.. just because lol.

Attachments

• 20210129_113751.jpg
    20210129_113751.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 97
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom