Roatan reef conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dolesorchard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I went to Cocoview four or five years ago and the reef was in terrible condition, has it recovered some?

I went to Cocoview four or five years ago and the reef was in terrible condition, has it recovered some?

I say put a trip together so we can all find out. ;-)

I say put a trip together so we can all find out. ;-)
Well, I was checking whether it’s worth the trip before I asked if you wanted to go!

These charts don't answer your question specifically but in the big picture it doesn't look good. We'll be in Roatan in March and was in Cozumel in November, will be interesting to compare reef health between the two.

Attachments

• Reef Health.png
    Reef Health.png
    160.3 KB · Views: 85
  • reef Health2.png
    reef Health2.png
    120.8 KB · Views: 86
These charts don't answer your question specifically but in the big picture it doesn't look good. We'll be in Roatan in March and was in Cozumel in November, will be interesting to compare reef health between the two.
We were in Cozumel a year ago in November and it was the first time I had seen significant deterioration of the reef tgere!

While there is some bleaching and vomit on the reef in Coz, its wasnt as bad last week compared to last August...the demise of the cruise ships has a definite positive effect on the reefs imho.

While there is some bleaching and vomit on the reef in Coz, its wasnt as bad last week compared to last August...the demise of the cruise ships has a definite positive effect on the reefs imho.
Probably the lack of sunscreen in the water hasn’t hurt either!

Those charts are very pretty (and concerning), but hard for my presbyoptic eyes to read in the posted screenshots. I'd like to take a closer look at the originals. Could you post a link to the source? Thanks.

@nwflyboy - sorry the attached PNG files are the best I have. Stole them from my Cozumel Dive Op Facebook page (Scuba Life Cozumel) .

Attachments

• Reef Health.png
    Reef Health.png
    160.3 KB · Views: 73
  • reef Health2.png
    reef Health2.png
    120.8 KB · Views: 76

Back
Top Bottom