Seat for gearing up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Related question. I do mostly shore dives, and have been gearing up on the tailgate of my pickup truck with my single-tank backmount rig. Since the singles have a boot on the bottom, they stand up nicely, and hold the entire rig easily. I recently picked up a manifold, bands, etc, and sent a pair tanks off to the LDS for a viz and to have the valves replaced to turn them into BM doubles. Turns out the tanks need to be tumbled, so I won't be getting them back for a week or two.

Since they won't have a boot anymore, they won't stand up by themselves. Is it going to be annoying to gear up at the truck with the doubles? Not too many people shore dive with doubles around here, but I've seen a mix of folding tables, pickup truck beds, using picnic tables, etc.

Related question. I do mostly shore dives, and have been gearing up on the tailgate of my pickup truck with my single-tank backmount rig. Since the singles have a boot on the bottom, they stand up nicely, and hold the entire rig easily. I recently picked up a manifold, bands, etc, and sent a pair tanks off to the LDS for a viz and to have the valves replaced to turn them into BM doubles. Turns out the tanks need to be tumbled, so I won't be getting them back for a week or two.

Since they won't have a boot anymore, they won't stand up by themselves. Is it going to be annoying to gear up at the truck with the doubles? Not too many people shore dive with doubles around here, but I've seen a mix of folding tables, pickup truck beds, using picnic tables, etc.

You should get the boots back. Take then off for tumbling and then put them back on.

It's totally doable to stand the doubles up yourself and then keep them balanced by holding onto one of the shoulder straps. You get one arm in this way then kinda lean them into your back/shoulder as you shimmy the other arm in. Might take a little practice but we do this all the time at Lobos. Much easier with a buddy holding it up while you get your arms in.

You should get the boots back. Take then off for tumbling and then put them back on.
Good idea. I was lax enough with hammering the damn things off for a good rinse when they were only 45 lbs and all sides were easily hammer-able. Not too sure I want to go through the trouble once they weigh 90+. I will take the boots back though, might as well give this a shot, if it's not much worse than de-saltifying single tanks, then maybe I will keep the boots after all.

@elgoog OK, thanks, good to know that it's a non-issue for others. My last dive was at Lobos on Xmas Day by the way. 26 frickin' day SI with no plans to dive soon, damn Mavericks season. The surfers are having a blast though.

This is just so comfy to dive out off of even before I've plonked a v8 in it

full.jpg

I would just cut one in half weld an A frame to it and tow it with the Honda

full.jpg

look at all that room and that's only half the room there to dive out off of
at a height also comfortable for those with their bums closer to the road.

Folding platforms like this are pretty ubiquitous at many UK dive sites. My car boot (trunk) is just right for loading and gearing up, but I still use the platform when transferring my rig to and from it's storage in the house. I assemble it laying down on the platform, stand it up, then sit down on the platform, put the shoulder straps on, then stand up and carry. Very easy to do.

Screenshot_2021-01-22-07-50-40-524~2.jpeg

Vehicle mods for diving are fun. My Subaru has a tank holder, gear shelf, and a little seat in the rear so I can sit down to gear up. I see lots of other ideas here. The more you know of, the better you can figure out what will suit you best.

Having a tough little folding table is a good idea, I think I will steal it for my setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom