Ginnie Springs diver missing - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The area in question here I am pretty positive isn’t on any current map. But I know the distance the diver was found but not exact specifics at this point. There are a few people in the know about the “new” section of Ginnie and they share it with people they’re friends with that they think can safely trek that far back.

That was my understanding

The group of about ~10-12 IUCRR divers who end up doing the recoveries in FL. Let's face it this is almost a uniquely FL issue. The Mexican cave diving fatality rate is a fraction of the FL rate. The cave diving fatality rate for rest of the world is even lower still. Instead of blaming the recovery divers for not publishing "reports", perhaps the energy would be better directed at asking why FL has so many cave diving fatalities in the first place.
I’ve been on two iucrr-related recoveries.

one had a thorough report issued. One was “stfu” and no report issued.

the situation with recovery report is bad.

The group of about ~10-12 IUCRR divers who end up doing the recoveries in FL. Let's face it this is almost a uniquely FL issue. The Mexican cave diving fatality rate is a fraction of the FL rate. The cave diving fatality rate for rest of the world is even lower still. Instead of blaming the recovery divers for not publishing "reports", perhaps the energy would be better directed at asking why FL has so many cave diving fatalities in the first place.
LOL! Maybe it’s because there are more people diving here than Port Orchard WA or more caves to dive in in Florida than Port Orchard WA. “rolls eyes”.

Try normalizing the data before making such statements.

LOL! Maybe it’s because there are more people diving here than Port Orchard WA or more caves to dive in in Florida than Port Orchard WA. “rolls eyes”.

I actually think RJack is probably correct in that regard.

Nobody has any idea the precise total number of cave dives, but MX has at least as many cave dives as FL and a fraction of the fatality rate. Especially if you count cavern dives. The rate in TAG, France, and SE Asia is also vastly lower.

And its not something I joke about.

don’t get your point. He’s discussing Fl vs Mexico vs the rest of the world. His home base wasn’t part of the discussion. You’re adding nothing here

I actually think RJack is probably correct in that regard.
It’s a numbers game. It’s not some Bermuda Triangle of cave diving or that people diving caves in Florida are somehow less trained or experienced. It’s that there are more places to dive caves and more people doing it.

the situation with recovery report is bad.

Indeed, despite 15+ years of people complaining about how there are almost no "reports" here on SB, back when TDS was active, CCRx, RBW, etc. Complaining in forums and on facebook is not changing that one bit.

It’s a numbers game. It’s not some Bermuda Triangle of cave diving or that people diving caves in Florida are somehow less trained or experienced. It’s that there are more places to dive caves and more people doing it.

as compared to Mexico? Where’s that come from? I think the number of cave divers between fl and Mexico is hard comparatively quantify. But I’d wager Mx has more

don’t get your point. He’s discussing Fl vs Mexico vs the rest of the world. His home base wasn’t part of the discussion. You’re adding nothing here

What then exactly is the speculation why more divers die in caves in Florida? Is the suggestion it needs to be regulated more? It seems like a bold statement to say the rate is higher in place A than B or C without some normalized data to support it.

Back
Top Bottom