Flying into Cancun, Ways to get to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This site says "getting into a private plane is roughly 19 times more dangerous than riding in a car." and we all know the most dangerous part of the trip is the drive to the airport.
Are Small Plane Crashes More Common? - Kelley | Uustal

Keep in mind we strap a pressurised tank of gas on our backs and go 100' underwater more or less relying on hoses, springs, and diaphragms to breathe.

If you can afford it, take the wind up airplane. Just don't trust the pilot who mutters, "I think I can, I think I can" over and over.

This site says "getting into a private plane is roughly 19 times more dangerous than riding in a car." and we all know the most dangerous part of the trip is the drive to the airport.
Are Small Plane Crashes More Common? - Kelley | Uustal

That stat will stand until all the folks who have drivers licenses get pilot licenses. When that happens, the stats will dramatically change.

That stat will stand until all the folks who have drivers licenses get pilot licenses. When that happens, the stats will dramatically change.

In which direction?

It's only cause the Hudson River is a little thick.

And landing in the channel won't be nearly as smooth as landing in a river. Especially when the "landing" will likely be weather induced. The real key to floating is remaining intact.

We are flying into Cancun the first week of February and are going to try a charter flight with Fly Tours Cancun. It is a Cessna 206 and they charge $450 one way from Cancun to Cozumel.
Is that per person?

The price is for the charter flight, not per person. A 206 is between $150 to $200 per hour operating cost, and they have to return empty from Cozumel, so they aren't making much. I have been a pilot for 30 of my 51 years, so I am not too concerned. I survived 20 years in the Air Force, I suppose I will survive the flight from Cancun to Cozumel. Of course, the new quarantine may cancel the whole affair, but sometimes that's the way it goes.

The price is for the charter flight, not per person. A 206 is between $150 to $200 per hour operating cost, and they have to return empty from Cozumel, so they aren't making much. I have been a pilot for 30 of my 51 years, so I am not too concerned. I survived 20 years in the Air Force, I suppose I will survive the flight from Cancun to Cozumel. Of course, the new quarantine may cancel the whole affair, but sometimes that's the way it goes.

I guess the MX government must have been subsidizing flights before the pandemic. It cost me about $75 to put my wife on a flight back to CUN after her bad experience on the ferry. That was last minute.

There are some regularly scheduled flights from Playa to Coz and vice-versa that are about $75 per person. Unfortunately they only seem to run three flights per day on the scheduled side, and we don't get in early enough to catch one of those. Hence, the private flight.

There are some regularly scheduled flights from Playa to Coz and vice-versa that are about $75 per person. Unfortunately they only seem to run three flights per day on the scheduled side, and we don't get in early enough to catch one of those. Hence, the private flight.

I completely understand. If you've got the cheddar, have at it. On my last trip, I think the charter was about $650, round trip. Sorry..., for that price, I would have put my wife up in a Playa AI place and gone taken the ferry by myself. Now, with the ferries maxing their loads and not adding capacity, I am going to the Atlantic coast of FL to see what it's like to dive with sharks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom