Flying into Cancun, Ways to get to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everything is relative. I looked at moving our trip to Hawaii to avoid the quarantine, and it is exactly double the cost of going to Cozumel for the same number of days and same type of resort. Except Hawaii is not all-inclusive, and you need to rent a car. Factoring everything in, and having a finite number of days off, the cost of the charter flight and Cozumel still comes in well below Hawaii. I also looked into Key West or Key Largo as we have never dove there. Same situation; roughly 50% more expensive, but also have to rent a car and pay for all meals. It is hard to beat Cozumel for the quality of the diving and cost of the fare.

The price is for the charter flight, not per person. A 206 is between $150 to $200 per hour operating cost, and they have to return empty from Cozumel, so they aren't making much. I have been a pilot for 30 of my 51 years, so I am not too concerned. I survived 20 years in the Air Force, I suppose I will survive the flight from Cancun to Cozumel. Of course, the new quarantine may cancel the whole affair, but sometimes that's the way it goes.

They don't seem to be price gouging. It's just inherently not an economical form of transportation for two people. But if you view it as a special treat or an excursion rather than plain transportation I can see where you might be ok with the cost.

It's almost always better to fly into & out of Cozumel even if days have to be adjusted. Many echo the claim that it's much cheaper to fly into Cancun except that's often not true. Flight schedules may well be better with Cancun.

2 extra days off work, two extra hotel rooms, meals. I don't know what you make in a day at work, but even with the $450 for a charter I am way ahead after factoring in all the costs. If I was retired, maybe the equation would be different.

And if your lucky, you can sit right seat and shot the visual:wink:

2 extra days off work, two extra hotel rooms, meals. I don't know what you make in a day at work, but even with the $450 for a charter I am way ahead after factoring in all the costs. If I was retired, maybe the equation would be different.
Yes, if the flights into & out of Cozumel can't be done with the same number of nights on the island, sure. I don't know where you are originating or what your travel dates are.

Things are much more flexible for me being a retired hermit who travels alone, like cheap hotels, and cheap dining.

And if your pilot has a heart attack in the air, it sounds like you could land the plane yourself.

I am in Montana, so there are no options for same day arrival to Cozumel.
Oh, there are, depending on your origin airport and travel dates.
I don't know where you are originating or what your travel dates are.
I glanced earlier at flights out of Helena, and I think I saw several flights on American, but they are not showing now. These flights out of there and return are for Saturdays only, too tight connections and poor backup opportunities, but then I don't know where you are or your travel dates.

upload_2021-1-23_23-0-30.png

Believe me, we have looked at all the options. I used to be a pilot for Delta and Northwest Airlines, so I know about every trick to get from one place to another. I can't travel Saturday to Saturday this trip. United is the only airline that goes to Cozumel same day right now, and only on Saturday. My wife is a nurse and works blocks of days on, and then has a block off. It rarely lines up to get a Saturday to a Saturday, so we aren't able to take advantage of that.

The 45 minute layover is a problem as well. We tried to take the direct flight once 3 years ago and we had to deice leaving Great Falls, and missed the connection. Then we had to scramble to get on the Cancun flight, arrange shuttle to playa, take the ferry, etc. Living in Montana you have to accept that you don't have all the flight options of the big cities. We have not taken the charter flight previously, but factoring in the lost wages from 2 days of work, extra hotels, etc., the $450 cost is much cheaper in the end. Of course, it is likely we will be canceling our trip now so we may not get to try the charter this time.

What about split-city, fly in/out of CZM and in/out of CUN? I haven't found much hit in fares and might ease the situation by half. We have done this several times when we wanted to do some mainland stuff like cenotes or Akumal or Coba.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom