Sidemount with Console Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SurteesDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all
Wondering if anyone has any tips for using a console computer with sidemount please? I had a Suunto Zoop and had to upgrade because I struggled to see it (even with readers in my mask). I bought an Oceanic Pro Plus X which I can see and love the display. Yes I know, I should have bought a Perdix for the same money...however water under the bridge!
Have just finished a sidemount course with 2 SPG mounted down the tanks (using the wrist-mounted Zoop), and I'm now looking to utilise my Pro Plus X. I tried using the forward facing HP port of my LH HOG reg but it did not sit well, so I've replaced the SPG with the Pro Plus hose and thinking that I'll rout it down the tank before bringing up to boltsnap to LH shoulder D ring. Hoping to be able to try it in a couple of weeks.
Thanks for any advice

The only option I can see using the PPX is on a single cylinder’s reg. If diving dual tanks, only one can use your PPX. If diving a single tank than no issues, just clip it off somewhere you have access to it.

One of the advantages of Sidemount is its clean configuration. Console DCs really don’t fit that clean configuration.

Only having AI on a single tank seems a bit pointless in side mount. I would probably attempt to fabricate a wrist mount, and just use SPGs on the tanks.

thinking that I'll rout it down the tank before bringing up to boltsnap to LH shoulder D ring.
I had to go look at the console because for a micro second I thought why not. Then I woke up from my dream.
The chest/shoulder area in SM is cluttered enough, why make it worse?

If it’s just to monitor depth and time, ditch the Zoop and look elsewhere for a larger display wrist mount. I thought Mares had a “cheap” wrist mount with larger numbers.

If you want to have the AI, you only get half the benefit of monitoring a single cylinder.

Hi all
Wondering if anyone has any tips for using a console computer with sidemount please? I had a Suunto Zoop and had to upgrade because I struggled to see it (even with readers in my mask). I bought an Oceanic Pro Plus X which I can see and love the display. Yes I know, I should have bought a Perdix for the same money...however water under the bridge!
Have just finished a sidemount course with 2 SPG mounted down the tanks (using the wrist-mounted Zoop), and I'm now looking to utilise my Pro Plus X. I tried using the forward facing HP port of my LH HOG reg but it did not sit well, so I've replaced the SPG with the Pro Plus hose and thinking that I'll rout it down the tank before bringing up to boltsnap to LH shoulder D ring. Hoping to be able to try it in a couple of weeks.
Thanks for any advice

A console In SM is the total opposite of everything SM is. That console is not going to work. Plus, it’s going to look ridiculous. Not streamlined. Strongly suggest you sell it and get a used Perdix or other computer with a larger color display.

Can you see your SPGs? How do you have them routed? Down the tank or lollipopped?

I will say that if you’re looking to have readable everything in your wrists, a Perdix with two transmitters is fab. I had been diving open water with SPGs, but decided I didn’t want to be fumbling for SPGs in a dark cave before my cavern/intro to cave class. Already had one transmitter so got the other. Two transmitters going to a Perdix on both arms is the ultimate in readability. :D

I will say that if you’re looking to have readable everything in your wrists, a Perdix with two transmitters is fab. I had been diving open water with SPGs, but decided I didn’t want to be fumbling for SPGs in a dark cave before my cavern/intro to cave class. Already had one transmitter so got the other. Two transmitters going to a Perdix on both arms is the ultimate in readability. :D

100%, right on the mark. I’ve been diving the Perdix AI w Sidemount for about a year and a half, and am glad I made the switch. I still have button gauges on my regs as backup, and an easy way to check pressure, pre dive.. but it’s really good way to dive sidemount. Even when scootering, you can check pressure without backing off the trigger.

only downside is the extra coin...

100%, right on the mark. I’ve been diving the Perdix AI w Sidemount for about a year and a half, and am glad I made the switch. I still have button gauges on my regs as backup, and an easy way to check pressure, pre dive.. but it’s really good way to dive sidemount. Even when scootering, you can check pressure without backing off the trigger.

only downside is the extra coin...

I took my SPGs off. Button ones? Hah! I’d never be able to read them.

Thanks everyone. At the moment cost is the issue, I wasn't clear that it see this as an interim solution. Will be getting a Perdix and use my two SPG routed down (not lollypopped) the tank once I can spare the cash. Have tried selling the PPX but there isn't much interest at a price that I would need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom