Sherwood Wisdom O-ring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sounds like the Viton is the better option. Thanks again for all you help and info!

I'll tell you what I learned from reading at The O-Ring Store LLC online. My O-Ring is an 025. An 025 is 1 3/16" ID which is exactly what my old one is as is the plastic cover hatch OD. An 026 is 1 1/4" ID. I ordered Buna N material as Buna N is for fresh water and salt water service. The FKN Viton material looks to be better for chlorinated pool water, but not enough to appear to matter. The Buna N doesnt like continuous sunlight exposure, but when my O-Ring is in place and greased it can hardly be considered bare and open to the sun. By the time it sees that much sun the rubber on my computer will probably rot and the display will yellow.

I bought this exact product - AS568-025 B70 (NBR) Buna N Nitrile 70 Duro O-Ring. Cost was $.05 ea with a minimum order of (13), for a whopping total of $.65. They also had a jacuzzi pump ring. I'm absolutely confident the ones I ordered were the exact ring I needed, but the jacuzzi pump ring looked slightly fatter. Minimum quantity was (1) @ $3. Since shipping was $6 I added it to my order - part number "92200190 Aqua Flo Dominator Trap Lid O-Ring". I probably wasted that $3 but I'm sure I'll recover from the blow.

All in it was $9.65 for 14 rings. I believe these rings will also fit my wifes Oceanic, and also have a friend who has one as well. So I'll probably keep 6 and give the other 8 to Jeff at Maximum Scuba in League City, Tx. Once the rings come in and are installed I'll post a follow up.

The O-Ring Store has sizing charts and a wealth of information available. Hope this helps.

Viton is not essential in this application as there is no O2 exposure to degrade the buna-n material of the standard o-ring and it should be changed at each battery replacement so you will put a fresh one in its place.

70 durometer (sometimes referred to as "shore") is the right hardness. 90 durometer is typical for places that have high pressure or will be moving a lot. Since the battery compartment once closed is static, there is no need for 90 durometer and the 70 durometer should create a better seal due by conforming under the pressure of closing the battery compartment.

-Z

I know this is and old thread but......Bill Ferguson did you use this exact O-ring (AS568-025 B70 (NBR) Buna N Nitrile 70 Duro O-Ring) in your Sherwood Wisdom dive Computer? If so how long has it been in and how has it held up.....have you had it at depth? thank you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom