Preferred Shore Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Danimal

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Since the Missus and her dead weight (me) are now fully vaccinated, and we are taking an impromptu trip to trip to Maui for some diving/snorkeling/whale watching next week. (We are fully aware of the requirements to travel to Hawaii.)

We don't really want to try out the vaccines on a boat so were looking to do mainly shore diving. We are staying in W Maui. Are there any dive sites in W Maui that are not to be missed? Any good resources for dive sites that include maps, etc? Are there good snorkeling sites too? Also, is there an operator you would recommend for renting gear from/doing our refresher dives (It's been a minute since we had to cancel our last trip due to the Rona.)?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

I rented my tanks and weights for my shore diving trip to West Maui from Extended Horizons. Great service. I've also used them on prior boat diving trips and found them to be a friendly, safe and accommodating dive operator. Small loads and they are very environmently friendly.

As I was staying very Black Rock, I did a lot of shore diving there. The south side is full of snorkelers and the beach is shoulder to shoulder tourists. (At least it was during pre-Covid times.) The north side is almost devoid of humans. Give it a try.

Mala Wharf and Makena Landing are probably top 2 easiest favorites. When you rent gear talk to shop staff and they'll give you super detailed info. You can rent dive flags, which I highly suggest doing(state law)! ALWAYS check swell reports. Winter time gets big north swell, stay south. Also, always good to sit and watch the area before getting in. Looking at swell sets, boat travel, etc.

hijacking this thread, we'll be going late July - early Aug 2021.

• Is there a Maui shore dive book (or digital) someone can recommend, especially one which would include parking and entry info?

• If you were to pick one or two shore dives that would most benefit from a guide from a dive shop, what would the be?

• Would you say there's no need for a guide at Mala Wharf?

• best night dive spot without a guide for a newly certified junior OW diver's first night dive (with me, his dad)?

• Is there a Maui shore dive book (or digital) someone can recommend, especially one which would include parking and entry info?

• If you were to pick one or two shore dives that would most benefit from a guide from a dive shop, what would the be?

• best night dive spot without a guide for a newly certified junior OW diver's first night dive (with me, his dad)?

Not a ton of shore diving experience there, but this website seems to list all the known sites

Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands

We did an Ulua Beach night shore dive, nice and easy entry/exit, shallow dive.

I've been diving in Hawaii for over 20 years professionally and every time I see someone is going to dive Maui I get excited for them!! Based on Kauai we go to Maui once every year to enjoy the fantastic diving there! You are in for a huge treat. The shore diving is incredible, and the there are a number of shops that will be happy to help you out. The shore diving options are so numerous that there is in fact a guide book for just that called - "The Divers Guide to Maui" by Chuck Thorne. It's an inexpensive guide to over 50!!!!! that's right - 50 shore diving locations. Detailed maps of the sites with expected critters, tips, difficulty ratings, etc. It's totally worth picking up and available in several dive shops and Whalers General convenience stores if I remember correctly. Swell is going to be important to be aware of and I would look to dive sites (generally) with 2ft or less. Early mornings are really the way to go to optimize great better conditions and more importantly availability of parking. The early morning drives can be beautiful anyway and give you an excuse for an afternoon nap on the beach. Don't be afraid to drive a little an hit the best spots available for the given day. We really enjoyed renting from Maui Dreams in Kihei (808-874-5332) if you head down that way. They are very helpful with dive conditions daily as we often stay up in Lahaina and drive down. I've dove with some of their staff at Niihau off Kauai and they are really a great group. If you rent in the Lahaina area many years ago I did work with Eric Stein the owner at Extended Horizons (808-667-0611) and he is really friendly and helpful as well. I'm sure his staff is the same. In the town of Lahaina - Lahaina Divers (808-667-7496) off of Dickenson St is an option as well if you are directly in town. You gotta check out Lahaina coolers and their amazing "Evil Jungle Pasta" anyway (on the same street).
Asking about a refresher guide speaks volumes about the kind of diver that you are (responsible and well trained) and it is a GREAT idea. Fine tuning weight, learning about local conditions, regaining comfort with a pro etc... will go a long way towards having an amazing dive experience while on Maui. I don't know a specific individual that does shore refreshers, but if it works out I would at least consider a Maui Dreams contact and feeler call to see what they offer.
Please feel free to send me a private message if you like with any other questions above or below water regarding Maui. I imagine some dive pros living on the isle currently will have some up to date suggestions/info that will surpass the knowledge I have, but I am happy to help if I can.
100% consider the aquarium if you return to Maui. It is awesome. I know it sounds as if you may want to understandably stay low key and away from crowds this trip.
Best of luck and have an amazing time on BEAUTIFUL MAUI!
A

First off .... GO BLUE! (assuming it's applicable as I noticed the Ann Arbor)

My other post addresses the book and guide...

If you are not familiar with Maui / Hawaii diving I think the benefits of a guide (at least for the initial dive at a given location) are almost endless. Swell will determine where you can dive on your trip with sites to the north being a little more user friendly during the summer. This doesn't mean you should rule out Kihei sites if mother nature allows. BY FAR my favorite site from shore on Maui is Makena Landing! Shallow, easy entry, close parking ..... AND WOW the critters are off the charts.

Where are you staying on the island? Reaching out and beginning dialog with a dive shop or two now can go a long way to determining who you want to use as your go to shop for renting, potential guides, etc...

Not just as a long time instructor (though that's a huge part) I would absolutely suggest a guide at Mala Wharf. It's shallow and with good to great vis it can be relatively straight forward navigation assuming you follow the wreck (collapsed pier) itself. The issue their is not just knowing where you "can" get it - but where you "should" get in. It is also located at a boat ramp and you will hear boats in very close proximity! A flag is a must at this site. A guide will also likely be able to show you sooooo many hidden critters that you may otherwise overlook. Mala Wharf has traditionally been a great spot for amazing commersons frogfish, octopus, sponge crabs, tiny nudibranchs and other awesome macro critters. It's quite possible you will also see both turtles and resting whitetip reef sharks.

I'll leave the best night diving spot suggestions for new / Jr OW diver to experts on Maui. Kihei has some great easy spots I understand they are not ones I have personally done at night. Maui Dreams would be a good contact for Kihei and surrounding sites.

Good luck planning and please feel free to contact me directly if you have any specific questions or if I can help with anything.
A

Thanks for all the great tips. Sorry to respond so late – was in the midst of making this all happen and life…
there is in fact a guide book for just that called - "The Divers Guide to Maui" by Chuck Thorne.
This seems to have first bee published in 1985 and maybe there's a 1988 edition? Would you consider this still relevant enough? Or is there a newer edition?
The benefits of a guide (at least for the initial dive at a given location) are almost endless. Swell will determine where you can dive on your trip with sites to the north being a little more user friendly during the summer … Where are you staying on the island? Reaching out and beginning dialog with a dive shop or two now can go a long way to determining who you want to use as your go to shop for renting, potential guides, etc...
Yes, I agree it would be ideal to have a guide on every dive. :) Just a matter of cost – already spending a fair chuck of change. I've picked a shop (Dive Maui, recommended by others here, but so many good ones!) and will do 2 days of boat dives off Lanai myself, while my 10-year-old son gets OWC. Then I'll take him alone, somewhere chill, mainly to check his training and skills, but also hopefully to have a couple nice shallow dives. Then we'll do a 2-tank day of guided shore dives. That will leave 2 days more (out of 4 days more on the trip) to do more shore daving on our own. Hopefully one of those dives being his first night dive. I trust you'd agree that's a reasonable plan. (?)

We'll stay in Lahaina for the first 2 days while he's doing his OWC, then move up north to a condo in Napili where we'll be joined by other non-diver relatives. So now looking for the non-diving things to do, see, and eat for us all…

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom