Things/Accessories you wish you acquired earlier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"It's going on 15 years now and the $ amount per dive is way less than using a charter..
It's going on 15 years now and the $ amount per dive is way less than using a charter.. the subjective amount can be considered as a plus"

What about upkeep, need to figure that into the total cost.

I've spent way more to dive from my own boat than I would from charters, but I don't have to get up before dawn and schlep gear across town. I can dive where and when I want. I can dive a couple of different sites and be home by noon. Boats cost a ton of money in upkeep, but it's worth every penny.

The only down side to diving from my boat is I have to doff the gear in the water, tie it off and pull it up when onboard, the ladder is no good at all even in a small swell.
This boat will see me out, great for fishing as well and I am only 2min from the boat ramp.

Things / Accessories you wish you acquired earlier?

The Poseidon Atmosphere -- full-face mask -- hands down.

Comfortable; positive pressure, all but impossible to flood. I had used a number of FFM brands for work, over the years; but, finally splurged, after a decade or more of occasional use; and, after breaking my jaw, and couldn't manage a mouthpiece, for a couple of months. Ironically enough, after decades of decompression diving -- that explosive inflation of the Toyota airbag at 322 kph, during a traffic accident, and the resulting fracture, was the worst experience that I have ever had with the sudden expansion of nitrogen gas.

EMT shears come up as a close second, after I had been caught by surf-fisherman on a few occasions, and wound tightly, in their lines, like an over-sized beef roast. Unlike dedicated dive gear, shears come quite cheaply; are found at most any drugstore; are effective; and are fairly disposable, after the hinges inevitably give.

I have a box of them . . .

A reliable crew of dive buddies who push each other to dive better and dive more often.

So I took my shiny new Blacktip DPV to my "local" diving lake for it's first outing on the 1st January. As we're in a lockdown, no other divers to play with, but they do allow solo diving in that lake (but not on CCR). I then discovered that they don't allow DPVs in the lake at weekends. The bottom-lip all a quivering... but but but "I just need to check that it works".... not on New Year's Day which counts as a weekend. Wailing from me, "noooo you can't do that, it's my Christmas present"...

They're so hard there ;-)

Anyway I did get a nice solo sidemount dive in the 6 degree (42F) water - with half-decent visibility as the lake had been closed for over a week. The only dive of this year as they've locked down even more since then. Probably why I'm on here to talk about it as some form of therapy...

The DPV rules at Wraysbury are pretty strict as they easily kick up the silt and the visibility isn't that great anyway so their biggest concern is DPVs colliding with other divers. Their rules are DPVs only during the week; only by explicit arrangement / prior booking; only when schools aren't using the lake; and it's a privilege not a right as it's our lake!

So I took my shiny new Blacktip DPV to my "local" diving lake for it's first outing on the 1st January. As we're in a lockdown, no other divers to play with, but they do allow solo diving in that lake (but not on CCR). I then discovered that they don't allow DPVs in the lake at weekends. The bottom-lip all a quivering... but but but "I just need to check that it works".... not on New Year's Day which counts as a weekend. Wailing from me, "noooo you can't do that, it's my Christmas present"...

They're so hard there ;-)

Anyway I did get a nice solo sidemount dive in the 6 degree (42F) water - with half-decent visibility as the lake had been closed for over a week. The only dive of this year as they've locked down even more since then. Probably why I'm on here to talk about it as some form of therapy...

The DPV rules at Wraysbury are pretty strict as they easily kick up the silt and the visibility isn't that great anyway so their biggest concern is DPVs colliding with other divers. Their rules are DPVs only during the week; only by explicit arrangement / prior booking; only when schools aren't using the lake; and it's a privilege not a right as it's our lake!
Just disguise your blacktip as a giant crayfish, they won't notice

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom