Covid-19 infection on a liveaboard at the Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your calculations in the past posts are just plain wrong.
Butafter 16 pages of nonsense i wont try to convince you to stop traveling.

Its selfish. And if everyone think you like we would have so many more deaths.
I thank everyone staying home. And i really like some posts on this thread.

I had so many Argumentation like these during the pandemic. It makes me sad and angry, but some people are just too selfish.

I am out here

OK, this is already a pretty big dogpile, but...THANK YOU to OP for sharing this article. FWIW I was in the Maldives for the first time, for a month in Nov-Dec 2020. It was a "major" birthday and I decided to go, although I did cancel all other travel plans in 2020 and so far in 2021 as well. Two things are true: the Maldives is doing a terrific job, effectively controlling COVID rates despite tens of thousands of visitors. AND this LOB group quarantine was not handled well at all. In fact, I was considering returning in March because I do think the risks of getting COVID on the flights are acceptable, but, this article helped me see the horrible downside to the low probability of being quarantined so I am waiting until 2022.

I don't think it is selfish or irresponsible to travel to Maldives because they *do* enforce precautions, unlike here in the US, where I fear going grocery shopping as much as I feared flying. I know our group was EXTREMELY cautious before and during our journey, by pretty much self-quarantining before the trip, having a negative PCR test, paying $$$ for transit hotel to avoid waiting in public areas of terminal, etc. Avoiding personal risk also minimizes the risk of spreading to others. I found the resort and the local island I visited after were very diligent following protocols and precautions, and testing rigorously, because one case can shut down the entire resort or island. They monitor, report and follow up on every single case, whether tourist or local resident. I found the local island hospital (based mostly on my exit PCR test experience) and the resort clinic to be top-notch, "first world" standard. Despite the failings of the LOB quarantine on "Fun Island" I think the Maldivian health authorities are doing a good job for visitors and residents.

So let's not judge, let alone demonize, those who choose to carefully take the risk of dive travel to Maldives. It is far preferable to destinations like Cozumel (where my brother caught COVID!) Given that many of us are in the 50+ more-vulnerable age range, I think we can trust each other to be careful and responsible.

OK, this is already a pretty big dogpile, but...THANK YOU to OP for sharing this article. FWIW I was in the Maldives for the first time, for a month in Nov-Dec 2020. It was a "major" birthday and I decided to go, although I did cancel all other travel plans in 2020 and so far in 2021 as well. Two things are true: the Maldives is doing a terrific job, effectively controlling COVID rates despite tens of thousands of visitors. AND this LOB group quarantine was not handled well at all. In fact, I was considering returning in March because I do think the risks of getting COVID on the flights are acceptable, but, this article helped me see the horrible downside to the low probability of being quarantined so I am waiting until 2022.

I don't think it is selfish or irresponsible to travel to Maldives because they *do* enforce precautions, unlike here in the US, where I fear going grocery shopping as much as I feared flying. I know our group was EXTREMELY cautious before and during our journey, by pretty much self-quarantining before the trip, having a negative PCR test, paying $$$ for transit hotel to avoid waiting in public areas of terminal, etc. Avoiding personal risk also minimizes the risk of spreading to others. I found the resort and the local island I visited after were very diligent following protocols and precautions, and testing rigorously, because one case can shut down the entire resort or island. They monitor, report and follow up on every single case, whether tourist or local resident. I found the local island hospital (based mostly on my exit PCR test experience) and the resort clinic to be top-notch, "first world" standard. Despite the failings of the LOB quarantine on "Fun Island" I think the Maldivian health authorities are doing a good job for visitors and residents.

So let's not judge, let alone demonize, those who choose to carefully take the risk of dive travel to Maldives. It is far preferable to destinations like Cozumel (where my brother caught COVID!) Given that many of us are in the 50+ more-vulnerable age range, I think we can trust each other to be careful and responsible.
I think the point that many struggle with is that, as much as folks can say they are careful and take precautions to make travel safe, the fact is that none of these are foolproof, so traveling at present runs the risk of causing needless spread and /or risk to your own personal health. That said, if it's not against the law, folks are free to travel as they see fit - but the rationale that gets thrown around as to why it's as "safe" or even "safer" than not traveling seems pretty flawed to me.

BTW - I don't know where you live in the US, but I don't fear trips out for groceries, food, gas, or home improvement stuff, etc., as I have honestly yet to come across anyone not complying with social distancing and mask wearing - and I make many small trips throughout the week. I'm sure there is non-compliance out there, but it's very easy to avoid.

I have an Emperor Maldives liveaboard scheduled for May. I would prefer to delay it until after I have the vaccine...but I've already paid for the liveaboard. I'm not impossibly wealthy, and just "tossing" 5000 dollars is a hard pill to swallow. This is something people who are blaming people for traveling during a pandemic should consider as well.

We all would have been a lot better off if we tried to "kill" this thing in March last year, before it spread (like they did in China). We could have paid huge stimulus to people to stay home, and economically it would have paid off, versus one year of ... this.

edit: just to clarify...to be honest, I want to delay the trip to 2022. But if they don't allow it, and I have to choose between going this year, or losing all the money...I honestly am not sure what I'll do yet.

My wife and I are also booked for an Emperor Maldives trip in May; which was rescheduled from last year. Our situation is very similar to yours. We would be inclined to reschedule for '22 as well and if they allow us to. Especially, if the situation deteriorates. We will have completed the vaccination process in the first week of February. So, we have that going for us.

We will have completed the vaccination process in the first week of February. So, we have that going for us.

Wonderful news that you will soon be fully vaccinated.

The big question at the moment is whether the vaccine will actually prevent you from spreading the disease as outlined in this article: Fact check: Scientists do not yet know whether the COVID-19 vaccine reduces transmission of the virus

From listening to Dr. Fauci and others it seems that we may need to keep be doing the Big 3 - masks, social distancing and hand washing - for the near term.

Wonderful news that you will soon be fully vaccinated.

The big question at the moment is whether the vaccine will actually prevent you from spreading the disease as outlined in this article: Fact check: Scientists do not yet know whether the COVID-19 vaccine reduces transmission of the virus

From listening to Dr. Fauci and others it seems that we may need to keep be doing the Big 3 - masks, social distancing and hand washing - for the near term.
I posted this in another thread Cayman Will Re-Open Borders to Visitors in March 2021

It is far preferable to destinations like Cozumel (where my brother caught COVID!) Given that many of us are in the 50+ more-vulnerable age range, I think we can trust each other to be careful and responsible.

How and where did he contract this? Been to Coz twice in the past 4 months and felt very safe.

Could he had contracted on the flight? Before travel?

My wife and I are also booked for an Emperor Maldives trip in May; which was rescheduled from last year. Our situation is very similar to yours. We would be inclined to reschedule for '22 as well and if they allow us to. Especially, if the situation deteriorates. We will have completed the vaccination process in the first week of February. So, we have that going for us.

I saw 2 boats of Emperor cy last week, they look very nice.

Don't be afraid to go in may, as every traveller is tested before arrival, as the airlines are very strict and carefull and as you'll be on board with the same people, there are very few risks...

Don't believe me, just look at the statistics
Coronavirus Pandemic Data Explorer

How and where did he contract this? Been to Coz twice in the past 4 months and felt very safe.

Could he had contracted on the flight? Before travel?
Unknown, but no COVID tests required for flights to Cozumel, unlike Maldives - so my point was that Maldives is safer if not completely safe because of their protocols.

Unknown, but no COVID tests required for flights to Cozumel, unlike Maldives - so my point was that Maldives is safer if not completely safe because of their protocols.

I agree with you on that!

One reason I went to Socorro was Nautilus Liveaboard required their guests to take PCR test even though Mexico doesn’t require it.

After January 26, they lessen their requirement to free antigen test, where they’ll do to all the guests before boarding and disembarking the boat so the USA guests would be able to travel back home as the negative COVID-19 test is now required for everyone to have before entering USA.

Maldives requires everyone to have negative PCR test within 96 hours before boarding the international flight to Male.

Back
Top Bottom