Hood and booties for Galapagos Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Indeed it is a decent financial commitment to go dive in the Galapagos... although there are some significant discounts to be had at the moment with the liveaboards as well as for award flight tickets.

I was trying to avoid having to buy a 7mm wetsuit when I foresee most of my diving to be in warm water locales, and also trying to save a bit here and there given that this is already such a substantial trip. I do see your points on how being cold and miserable might make those dives infinitely less enjoyable. :cool: Now I'm off to research wetsuits....

Thank you! :snorkel:

Please take a look at out 5 and 7 mm wetsuits. We have women's and men's suits and they have integrated hoods, so that further reduces costs from many other suits. These suits are very comfortable and easy to don - AND warm!

https://www.makospearguns.com/Yamamoto-3D-Reef-Camo-2-Piece-Open-Cell-Wetsuit-p/m2y3drc.htm

https://www.makospearguns.com/Womens-3D-Reef-Camo-Wetsuit-2-Piece-Open-Cell-p/m2y3drcw.htm

thanks
Dano

We wore Hollis semi dry with integrated hood. Temperatures varied and for a few dives we were hot, but generally glad to have the thick suits for the colder dives. A hood is a great choice. It will help you retain a significant amount of heat, isnt expensive, easy to pack. Gloves are an absolute necessity for grabbing and holding on to the rocks, in honking current. I'd recommend boots for the added protection from potentially scraping on the rocks. (We regularly made crash landings when repositioning along the walls.)

It's a great trip. You will love it.

Just get a 7mm wetsuit that fits you well.

I was there in December 2016 and share cabin with a guy who rent 7mm wetsuit, which was too tight and the last one they had available for his size. He was complaining the whole trip & skipping some of the dives. He reserved the rental wetsuit prior to the trip and the boat booking office convinced him that it was the right size for him.

After the trip, he complained about it a lot and ended up getting a big discount for his next liveaboard trip.

Another diver had the rental 7mm suit with lose fit on the neck and kept getting cold water through the neck seal. Another word. useless.

A 1mm slip-on hood suits me just fine.

I’ll be back in Galápagos for 2 weeks in January.

I used a good fitting 5mm suit and added a hooded lavacore vest at the colder sites. Good booties, neoprene socks, and kevlar gloves are all recommended.

We wore Hollis semi dry with integrated hood. Temperatures varied and for a few dives we were hot, but generally glad to have the thick suits for the colder dives. A hood is a great choice. It will help you retain a significant amount of heat, isnt expensive, easy to pack. Gloves are an absolute necessity for grabbing and holding on to the rocks, in honking current. I'd recommend boots for the added protection from potentially scraping on the rocks. (We regularly made crash landings when repositioning along the walls.)

It's a great trip. You will love it.
Which liveaboard did you go with on your trip?

If you are using non-dive gloves, I recommend testing them in a pool or full bath tub to make sure they don't get loose once full of water. They are necessary to protect your palms from sharp barnacle covered rocks and not so much for warmth.

7mm is always comfortable underwater, but can be a beast at surface Jan-April when the air temps are really hot. June-mid Nov, it can be surprisingly cool. Darwin said Galapagos must be the coldest place on the equator at sea level.

Also Galapagos itinerary factors in. Cabo Douglas, Punta Vicente Roca and Cousins are the coldest dive sites. Darwin is the warmest as it's influenced by the tropical Panama current. They can vary maybe as much as 10-15F degrees.

As per @DiveTheGalapagos

April/May 2018, high water temp at Darwin, 77 degrees, low water temp at Punta Vicente Roca, 63 degrees. At Darwin and Wolf, I wore my full 7 mm without my hooded vest. The rest of the time, I wore the full suit with a 5/3 hooded vest. I was one of the few divers who stayed warm on all dives. Average dive time was nearly an hour.

7mm fullsuit, sharkskin shirt, 4mm hooded vest, 5mm boots, toughest gloves you can find (insulation optional).

I was comfortable but those with less complained about cold. Temp varies within the chain depending on location.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom