Is it time to go electric?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

irycio

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi!

So with the winter around, the air temperature is dropping below 0*C and water stabilizes at 4*C (<40F). I dive a trilaminate drysuit with merino thermal underwear followed by a powerstretch undersuit (see Kwark Navy Fleece Undersuit - Man for English desc) with an additional vest (Kwark Navy Tech Vest). Hestra glove liners and whichever thick socks I find.

First 20 minutes are actually fine, but beyond that - or maybe half an hour tops - it really stops being fun, not to mention safe.

Thus the question - is there anything else to try, e.g. would the Thinsulate akin to Santi's BZ400 be considerably warmer contrary to the description that producer of my garments provides, or is it time to start considering electric heating?

Thanks in advance!

Where are you getting cold at?
How thick of a hood are you using? That cold for that long, need a thick hood.

Where are you getting cold at?
How thick of a hood are you using? That cold for that long, need a thick hood.

I have a 7mm hood from fourth element which is new (so hasn't thinned out yet) and seems to fit well.
I start freezing from my limbs, which is probably quite expected, especially given that my hands and feet are naturally cold even even in an otherwise warm weather. Basically the only times they are not cold to touch is during reasonably intense cardio.

in that cold you really need active heat.... bite the bullet and go electric

Yeah, was jealously diving with a buddy who recently got active heating and somehow didn't shiver after 1h ;P.
Am I right to fear the heated vests/socks without external battery? Seems like accident waiting to happen.

I have a 7mm hood from fourth element which is new (so hasn't thinned out yet) and seems to fit well.
I start freezing from my limbs, which is probably quite expected, especially given that my hands and feet are naturally cold even even in an otherwise warm weather. Basically the only times they are not cold to touch is during reasonably intense cardio.

Yeah, was jealously diving with a buddy who recently got active heating and somehow didn't shiver after 1h ;P.
Am I right to fear the heated vests/socks without external battery? Seems like accident waiting to happen.

it depends, most of them have sealed batteries that are fully waterproofed. I just bought one to try with wetsuit diving, but I also have a UWLD heated vest controller which is the bomb.

I recently went to a heated vest, venture something, dual internal batteries and since it’s designed to be used wet I’m not worried about the internal power source or at least not yet. It has a wrist mounted remote with very poor range so I have to hold it close to the receiver to activate but not hard to do.

pits the next best thing after making sure you have enough air in the suit.

Thus the question - is there anything else to try, e.g. would the Thinsulate akin to Santi's BZ400 be considerably warmer contrary to the description that producer of my garments provides

Yes, definitely. The Kwark Navy is not an undergarment that I would dive in the winter months around here. The BZ400 is actually what I would recommend. Suit heat is nice but I would not rely on it primarily, so proper undergarments first and heat second. I would look at Santi or Yellow Diving for heated vests, I doubt you'd get quick support from Dive Rite in your location...

Get the same water temps up here in Sweden, I also use a Kwark Navy with a merino layer under and it works for about 15-20 minutes before you start to get cold.
Got a BZ200 heated vest this winter and it made a massive difference, can easily manage 60-90 minute dives with it but my fingers tend to get cold so going to get the heated gloves as well...

My only regret is that I didn't buy it sooner.

Same temperatures here in the Netherlands. I do own a BZ400 which for me makes the dives fun up till about 30 minutes. Adding more layers would propably make it impossible for me to do valve drills etc.

Lucky for me my boyfriend bought the Santi heated vest and gloves for my birthday and I can't imagine going back :). I have only used the heating twice so far but 60 minutes dives (or even more) are not a problem anymore. Really makes a difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom