Is it possible to travel responsibly (during a pandemic)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@tursiops

Got a note from WinAir today that all flights SXM-EUX are suspended until Oct 26.
So much for my Oct 3-10 trip!
posted 07JUL2020

International travel from Sint Maarten (SXM) to Sint Eustatius, Caribbean Netherlands (EUX)?

AT THE HEIGHT OF THE PANDEMIC?

How do you get from the ‘east coast’ to SXM and home to the ‘east coast’ from EUX?

I suppose this itinerary is possible to do in a socially responsible, COVID minimizing manner?

Me? Sounds COVID risky to me, lucky WIN canceled, right?

Yeah, Life.

I worked past 70 to max out my Social Security benefits. Granted it was at a six figure salary.

So my contribution was probably at a higher value than average.

As the COVID statistics alter the mortality tables, and as the selfish attitudes contribute to the mortality rates, we’ve discovered a solution to the under-funding that has concerned the younger generations.

Congratulations, I appreciate everything I’ve done to ensure your future.

Don’t thank me, just book me on a live aboard to the Maldives.
Yeah, Life.

I worked past 70 to max out my Social Security benefits. Granted it was at a six figure salary.

So my contribution was probably at a higher value than average.

As the COVID statistics alter the mortality tables, and as the selfish attitudes contribute to the mortality rates, we’ve discovered a solution to the under-funding that has concerned the younger generations.

Congratulations, I appreciate everything I’ve done to ensure your future.

Don’t thank me, just book me on a live aboard to the Maldives.
Ugh.... I hear covid runs rampant on Maldives liveaboards.

@tursiops

posted 07JUL2020

International travel from Sint Maarten (SXM) to Sint Eustatius, Caribbean Netherlands (EUX)?

How do you get from the ‘east coast’ to SXM and home to the ‘east coast’ from EUX?

I suppose this itinerary is possible to do in a socially responsible, COVID minimizing manner?

Typical. Possible politician, preach but don’t practice.

BTW - what state and county do you live in? It would be interesting to compare your crib to mine. Me? I’ll bet that Eagle County numbers are better than wherever on the ‘east’ coast you live, right?
Nope. Your daily new cases are 63.7 per 100k population; where I live it is 34.1. I wonder what you could possibly be doing wrong there? Masks? Social distancing? Hand washing? Are your bars and restaurants open for inside dining?
upload_2021-1-27_22-34-17.png

upload_2021-1-27_22-36-8.png

Oh good we're hitting the personal attacks now.

How charming. This will totally encourage people to take this thread and the points in it seriously

Went back and re-read your post. You are saying 30 people out of 150 people (15%) died due to infection? Is that something you heard?
Of the whole population something about 15% have been infected. The ONS reposts in terms of deaths per 100k of population, so for 100k in male working age population 15k will have been infected and 30 die. 30/15000 is 0.2% of infected people dying. There is some bistro maths there but the ball park number is still 10 times higher than your claim. Along with your dismissing the non death consequences I would characterise you as a denier.

Also @Cert1967

Please note that that post you're using to bash tursiops is from July, when most folks were finding out that pre-arranged plane tickets and trips were being cancelled.

Folks will, can, and have scheduled trips out over a year in advance. Clearly if you've read any of tursiops' posts lately, their view on travel has changed since.

@tursiops

posted 07JUL2020

Have fun trolling.

What would the number be if you estimated the number of COVID positive folks that were untested?

That is where the 15% of the whole (U.K. in my example) comes from. Your death rate is actually higher than U.K. working age average.

And yes, stopping people going on holiday in your town would be an appropriate response. That is what happened where I was for a couple a months last year and in a population of about 30k they have had 100 infections and one death. You may have had just 17 (Ie about 900% worse) deaths of locals but how many transmission occurred between people who then leave after the weekend and get ill somewhere else?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom