18650 and others battery issue (not charging)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scoooter961

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I would urge you to consider getting a battery tester for those batteries that measures internal resistance and capacity as you may find that the batteries are actually trash. When they get deep discharged like that, there is usually high internal resistance which can cause them to fail spectacularly during charging...

https://www.amazon.com/Opus-BT-Inte...ds=battery+tester+18650&qid=1611844508&sr=8-7

Is there any way to check it with a multi meter?

Agree with @tbone1004.
With a basic charger like that you can charge successfully, but you don't really know much about the battery other than "go, no go".
Some chargers do have a 'save' function for over discharged batteries. OTOH, over discharge is not good for NiXX and is REALLY BAD for Li-on. Some chargers not being able to charge cells like that is considered a safety feature.

To get real info you need an analyzing charger, like in the link.

Ok have either of you used that specific charger or have any other recommendations if I am going to buy one? A bunch of those reviews say they had fan bearing issues...

This one is also good, have one of those. The fan on the Opus isn't hard to change though if it goes sideways, but I much prefer the Opus from a user interface. I have to actually read the manual from Xtar every time I need to use it for anything other than charge.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DJ8H1Q6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have one of these which is what I use primarily when travelling because it is USB based. It will give cell resistance, but can't cycle the batteries so you can't burn test them. Since I am a cave diver, the battery endurance is rather important to me, so I run my cells through the Opus once or twice a year and all new batteries when purchased to make sure that their capacity is in fact what they claim. I use the Nitecore when I am travelling and since that gives out the resistance, you can gauge cell health with that. Realistically though you need one of the chargers that can discharge first though.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JPL476H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ok thanks for the help. I sure don't want the fireworks while charging. Is it ok to use the opus charger in a lipo bag?

Ok thanks for the help. I sure don't want the fireworks while charging. Is it ok to use the opus charger in a lipo bag?

When you are doing the cycling, I would recommend leaving it outside of the bag. It discharges by connecting the batteries to a resistor which generates a lot of heat, hence the cooling fan.

I have also found that what I thought was a bad battery was actually a bad, cheap charger. When I got a better charger, the “bad” battery turned out to be fine.

Back
Top Bottom