Roatan Reef Reports?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scrane

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going to celebrate my Covid Vaccination by planning a dive trip for May. I am particularly interested in diving from West End, Roatan. I was there a few years ago, and diving conditions were not great, but acceptable. I am wondering if anyone has been diving Roatan recently and if they can give me an idea of how things stand. Thanks.

How things stand?

Therein lies a big part of the problem, surely on the West End where there are hundreds of Pod People standing on everything, certainly the reefs.

All reefs, everywhere, are in a downward slide.

Is Roatan still worth the bother and cost balanced against the experience? Yes, generally it is. Comparing it against other destinations that are easy to get to, have electricity, have a medical facility, that kind of thing? In the Caribbean? Yes, Roatan is still just fine.

Posters on social media often post “conditions” reports. These are merely snapshots, often heavily influenced by that week’s weather. One can find any number of just awful sea conditions and then you see their trip was to the Mar Caribe in November. Well, duh.

Reef health can be very difficult to judge by such poster’s reports. I have seen what appears to be a ghostly white reef, then... looking vibrant a year later. We humans have very short time frames that delude us into thinking...no, knowing we have the whole picture.

When the economy (your desire to spend larger sums drives locals to build dive infrastructure, as airlines are driven to react to the demand), when that comes to fruition, there are dozens of rocks waiting in the Caribbean to ultimately be deflowered by “eco adventure tourists” and finally...Club Dread. There is still phenomenal diving nearby...just not feasible to get there.

The few liveaboard itineraries ever offered ...have not accessed the remaining exotica of the Bay Islands. Too costly in fuel. There are several micro dive ops (Eastern 1/2) that can give you a very different experience. One guy took me on a night dive in sand flats 25fsw with dozens of sharks- diving out of a water taxi. The stuff is there, just not having a Discover Diving sign out front.

If you become disenchanted with (the diving of) a localized zone on Roatan, it’s a matter just moving over a bit. There is still remaining remarkable diving on Roatan, but you’ll have to give up that “jimmy Buffett island vibe” and get your socks dirty. Same, worldwide.

In general, when I hear such a query, the answer is “yes, it’ll be fine”. As soon as you realize that you want more and are willing to suffer the cost? That question disappears.

Wow, excellent post.

Thanks, Doc, for your reply. I should have been clearer with my question. I meant to say sites normally accesible from West End, say from Pablo's Place off of West Bay around North to the Odyssey Wreck. The same reefs that the Anthony's Key people are diving. And when I say reefs I'm also including walls and 40' -100' features. The usual stuff.
I've found the Dive Masters in West End that I've dived with about as conscientious as anywhere else. What I'm worried more about is the progressive downhill of high temperature and pollutants and algae and Lionfish and etc. I am not looking for world class diving, I'm just hoping for 10 days of underwater amusement.
If things haven't gotten a lot worse in the last 3 years that's good enough for me. In fact, after more than a year of staying home I'll probably be pretty easy to please.

....What I'm worried more about is the progressive downhill of high temperature and pollutants and algae and Lionfish and etc. I am not looking for world class diving, I'm just hoping for 10 days of underwater amusement.
If things haven't gotten a lot worse in the last 3 years that's good enough for me.

Come on down.

Your comments above hit so many chords. Roatan still has much to offer.

It seems perfect for the noob as the conditions and equipment are very easy.

More advanced divers that have good buoyancy skills and have tuned their skills and vision for macro...how could you ask for better?

The mid-ability (experience) diver can be disappointed due to the general lack of larger individuals of common Caribbean fishy-fish. This problem is universal in the well known / common Caribbean destinations. In the area you describe, this is somewhat offset by the temporal successes of the Roatan Marine Park.

For many divers, it is well advised to hire a DM who has shown great expertise in a UW Naturalist capacity. Spend a couple of dives with them. They will not only show you stuff, but the expert will explain to you how to find them. It really isn’t hard if you understand where and how to look.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom