Uneasy feeling of booking an August trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would avoid flying American if any way possible. I'll do the bag drag through Playa del Carmen over flying American.
Why? Still not hearing reasons as to why. Now it’s a curiosity thing for me as I never had a problem with them. As to the bag drag... I’m trying to think if I ever had to do that as well. If I ever had a connecting flight, the airline would handle the baggage connection. I never remember running across an airport dragging luggage. Now, if I stayed in the drink lounge too long.....

Have you dove with Salty Endeavors before? We have been diving with them for the past 3 years or so, and they are definitely a great outfit.
Oh yeah, I met Henry and his dad on a trip to Roatan several years back, followed his adventures in instructor development on Utila, work on Fiji, this big drive with trailer to the island, and his start up. I've also followed his family development which was a surprise. There are many great ops on the island, and I hate it when people cheerlead for their favs here, but I wouldn't dive with anyone else. My first trip down diving with him was the week of the Latin America Tall Ships convention, and I was often his only diver - but we went out anyway. The morning of the parade we all agreed that I'd paid for two dives but let's skip one to go out and get closer views and photos of the sailing vessels.

Are these canceled flights from American post covid? I never had a problem with American canceling or switching flights. I haven’t flown since covid though.
American will do whatever they want to people, but they usually get me where I'm going eventually.

I would avoid flying American if any way possible. I'll do the bag drag through Playa del Carmen over flying American.
Ok, that's just crazy talk.

Don’t understand the AA issue. I have 37 R/T from St Louis - DFW - CZM and only once was the flight late .
We had to wait ( and watch) while they replaced brakes on the starboard landing gear in Dallas.

As to the bag drag... I’m trying to think if I ever had to do that as well. If I ever had a connecting flight, the airline would handle the baggage connection. I never remember running across an airport dragging luggage. Now, if I stayed in the drink lounge too long.....

By 'the bag drag', they're talking about flying into Cancun and dragging their bags from the airport to the ferry to the hotel. It really is a drag.

We haven't had any issues with American either, so I'm curious as well.

Why? Still not hearing reasons as to why. Now it’s a curiosity thing for me as I never had a problem with them. As to the bag drag... I’m trying to think if I ever had to do that as well. If I ever had a connecting flight, the airline would handle the baggage connection. I never remember running across an airport dragging luggage. Now, if I stayed in the drink lounge too long.....
I wont fly AA ever again after our last flight down this past December. In fact, we blew off the return and purchased a one way on JB! The boarding process was a nightmare! They wouldnt let anyone board until they scanned a bar code and filled out a covid questionnaire that was in Spanish! It was CHAOS! They were rude and belligerent to all customers...No separation and mass boarding once the forms were completed!

I wont be flying AA ever again!

Btw, United Houston flights still almost empty some days. I think there were 20-25 people on flight down yesterday. Couple on board said flight to Houston the week before had roughly the same number of people. Flight I took a couple of weeks ago was similar

I assume Saturday flights probably have more people (I hope). Looks like tomorrow’s flight has 50ish people. They will not keep flying flights with 10-20 percent load factors for too long.

By 'the bag drag', they're talking about flying into Cancun and dragging their bags from the airport to the ferry to the hotel. It really is a drag.

I find there to be very little "dragging" of bags. The bus carries them CUN to PDC and the ferry carries them across the channel. Trike guys carray them from bus to ferry in PDC, and sometimes from ferry to street in Coz. The taxi carries them to hotel. The bus drivers, trike porters, ferry workers, and taxi drivers do all the loading and unloading. I do more walking with my bags inside my home airport IAH than all of the bag drag combined.

Reactions: yle

Ok thanks for the clarification.

I find there to be very little "dragging" of bags. The bus carries them CUN to PDC and the ferry carries them across the channel. Trike guys carray them from bus to ferry in PDC, and sometimes from ferry to street in Coz. The taxi carries them to hotel. The bus drivers, trike porters, ferry workers, and taxi drivers do all the loading and unloading. I do more walking with my bags inside my home airport IAH than all of the bag drag combined.
Wondering why you wouldn’t just fly right into Coz direct? When I went down, seemed simple and direct flight to Coz.

Wondering why you wouldn’t just fly right into Coz direct? When I went down, seemed simple and direct flight to Coz.
It's best to fly into & out of Cozumel, but Cancun gets more flights so from some origin airports you can find better connections & times. You might also save on ticket prices from some but seldom enough to warrant the challenge.

I only go thru Cancun if I miss my Cozumel connection and have to reroute or if I have other business on the peninsula, i.e. visit Mayan ruins, snorkeling with whale sharks, dentist appointments, etc.

Don’t understand the AA issue. I have 37 R/T from St Louis - DFW - CZM and only once was the flight late .
We had to wait ( and watch) while they replaced brakes on the starboard landing gear in Dallas.
It gets more complicated when you have to fly into DFW from someplace, then connect. Beyond that, they sell seats on flights with no intention of flying the planes at those times if they feel their needs are better met by changes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom