Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

don't think they are worth too much anymore.

why not? still seems like it offers sensible visibility underwater, tested algorithm and sports features on top. i've been seeing them sold second hand for ca $500 and was quite interested.

why not? still seems like it offers sensible visibility underwater, tested algorithm and sports features on top. i've been seeing them sold second hand for ca $500 and was quite interested.

Seems like you answered your own question. How much were they, new? Is "ca $500" meaning 500 Canadian, or circa $500? Even at USD$500, that is still what I would call "not worth too much" - compared to how much they cost new. Good luck buying a recent model Shearwater computer for that much of a discount from new....

Is "ca $500" meaning 500 Canadian, or circa $500?
Given the poster is from Switzerland, and that ca is a standard abbreviation for circa, I'm going with USD 500.
But your point is solid; huge drop in the used price. But it would be fairer to compare with the drop in the Petrel 1 price when the Petrel 2 came out.

Seems like you answered your own question. How much were they, new? Is "ca $500" meaning 500 Canadian, or circa $500? Even at USD$500, that is still what I would call "not worth too much" - compared to how much they cost new. Good luck buying a recent model Shearwater computer for that much of a discount from new....

Touche. For some unknown reasons the MK1 was available at almost every dive store in Switzerland, accompanying the usual Suuntos, and Shearwater or even OSTC are much harder to come by. Which explains why 2nd hand Perdix or Teric are hardly ever available (and the last ones I remember sold at maybe 10% off compared to new ones), and MK1 hardly sells at 50% discount.

Given the poster is from Switzerland, and that ca is a standard abbreviation for circa, I'm going with USD 500.
But your point is solid; huge drop in the used price. But it would be fairer to compare with the drop in the Petrel 1 price when the Petrel 2 came out.

Old tech always gets rolled. No matter how incremental the change may be.

I think $500 is a 50% drop from new, if I'm remembering new prices correctly.

I don't ever remember used Petrel 1s selling for half of what they cost new, in the rough timeframe of when the Petrel 2 came out. But, that was a long time ago and I could be experiencing selective memory. Heck, I'm not sure the used price on a Petrel is down to 50% of its original new price even now, is it? Weren't they like $650 or $700? Can you get them now for as cheap as $350?

oh they are great visibility underwater.

Shipped! (Amazon)
Mine too:)
I think $500 is a 50% drop from new, if I'm remembering new prices correctly.

I don't ever remember used Petrel 1s selling for half of what they cost new, in the rough timeframe of when the Petrel 2 came out. But, that was a long time ago and I could be experiencing selective memory. Heck, I'm not sure the used price on a Petrel is down to 50% of its original new price even now, is it? Weren't they like $650 or $700? Can you get them now for as cheap as $350?

I paid $800 for mine. $500 isn't bad but I'm not still not sure if its worth the effort to sell and ship it since it's a great dive watch and I like it a hell of a lot better than the Atmos my son has.

oh they are great visibility underwater.

Mine too:)

I paid $800 for mine. $500 isn't bad but I'm not still not sure if its worth the effort to sell and ship it since it's a great dive watch and I like it a hell of a lot better than the Atmos my son has.
The Atmos only only costs $450 new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom