18650 and others battery issue (not charging)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My "rule" is anything less than 80% is done, many others recommend 90%

ok is that because of safety or because of use life. These are in flashlights that are used for walking the dogs 99% of the time. So I’m not too concerned about them not lasting through the walk.

ok is that because of safety or because of use life. These are in flashlights that are used for walking the dogs 99% of the time. So I’m not too concerned about them not lasting through the walk.

safety, when they get that low they usually have pretty high internal resistance and a good bit of self discharge which is a potential safety issue.

Ok so I got the new opus charger and my three 18650 flashlight batteries are 110, 122, and 187 on the quick test. Are they still ok to use and charge?

Reminder:
Because of the inherent resistance of the sliders, internal resistance can be somewhat erratic in these kind of chargers. Consider it to be a rough guide.
Make sure the battery terminals are clean, the battery is well positioned, and it's useful to do multiple test and try different slots.
I throw out the extreme readings and look for an 'average'.
(BTW, this reading is not a 'standard' or 'absolute'. You cannot really compare it to other readings on other devices.)

Industry thinks a battery under about 80% is past it's prime. I'm more liberal than that, BUT, it depends a LOT on intended use. Low grade batteries are lightly used, like in a low output light.
I also have the tools to watch if a battery is showing unwanted deterioration. That may not prevent a serious problem from happening unexpectedly though. At some point there is a judgement call about value vs. safety.

good point @fmerkel
Mine are all used for backup lights for cave diving, so I tend to be quite conservative with mine, but I also take care of them and only buy high quality cells, so they go for quite a while before they get to below 80%.

Thanks again for all the guidance. Here are the results after testing. Would you all say battery 1 is trash and the rest are ok? Also what type 18650 batteries do you buy?

Battery 1
Resistance 187
Capacity 2444

Battery 2
Resistance 95
Capacity 3407

Battery 3
Resistance 108
Capacity 3353

What would you use for a cap at the internal resistance? I am going to buy some of the Panasonic's soon as well.

What would you use for a cap at the internal resistance? I am going to buy some of the Panasonic's soon as well.

complicated given the accuracy of the chargers, but for me personally it would be around 150-200mOhm which should be about double what they are when new. Internal resistance is tied directly to cell capacity and self discharge though, so the capacity tests are what I usually go by. The internal resistance is nice to see on the big boy packs in lights and scooters where it can be harder to get accurate capacity measurements

Back
Top Bottom