Should we put fork in DSS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Need some help with a dss setup. Seller says it has never been in the water. He says it measures 15"x10.5". What are your thoughts about buying it since it looks like dss is done?

I would have no issue buying the plate and harness. The metal bits are virtually indestructible, and the harness webbing is inexpensive to replace when it wears out.

The wing however...if it is in good shape and holds air then it should be fine. I kind of look at wings from the standpoint that at some point I will have to replace the bladder or the entre wing. Just realize that in this case a bladder will not be available from the manufacturer and you may have difficulty finding a bladder that will fit...in this case you will most likely have to purchase a new wing from a different brand when replacement is warranted.

Once you have established that it is truly in good shape and holds air without leaking, and you have decide that the overall design is to your liking and the price is agreeable to you then go for it.

-Z

That wing looks like a Torus 26. It is sewn shut, that is no zipper to access bladder. If you ever get a bladder puncture it probably becomes a throw-away.

That said, my family dives 5 sets of dss gear, mix of T17 & T26 wings. Over 10 years now with exactly zero problems.

Probably that T26 would work good, last a long time.

I'd buy it if The price is reasonable.

If the wing ends up with problems, I think that ones from Vintage Double Hose will also fit.

And if you don’t buy the wing, zip me a PM; I might be interested!

If the wing ends up with problems, I think that ones from Vintage Double Hose will also fit.

Unfortunately the seller is not willing to ship. If anyone is in the Burbank, CA area they can get a good deal on it.

It will. I've been using a VDH Argonaut Wing with that backplate since my DSS bladder failed 3 years ago.

The picture wasn't clear enough for me to see if that setup has the wedges that keep the cam bands in place and help them lock down the tank. It's one of Tobin's nicer innovations.

It will. I've been using a VDH Argonaut Wing with that backplate since my DSS bladder failed 3 years ago.

The picture wasn't clear enough for me to see if that setup has the wedges that keep the cam bands in place and help them lock down the tank. It's one of Tobin's nicer innovations.

No doubt there are other wings that will fit if you are suggesting replacing the entire wing if there is a problem. But if you are referring to the bladder then the design of that DSS wing requires considerable dismantling to remove and replace its bladder. There was a post by Tobin awhile back where he mentioned the special equipment necessary to hold the bladder out of the way while the wing is sewn shut, especially the trim pieces around the square openings.

Surely a bladder could be retrofit if required, but the PIA factor will be based on how handy one is with a needle and thread or sewing machine.

There are other wings on the market that are just as good (if not better) that would not be as much of a PIA to the repair/replace the bladder. If bladder repair/replacement is non-issue because the wing will be replaced as a unit regardless of make/model when and if there is a problem then the used DSS wing depicted is just as good as any other out there (considering it holds air to begin with).

-Z

I dive a DSS plate and T26 wing. Works perfectly with many dives on it. However as DSS is now out of business, I would like to be prepared in case the wing, one day, does fail. There have been numerous mentions of the VDH wing working but does anyone have any actual experience with other wings? (not just ... it SHOULD work)

I live in a country with very little choice - I only have access to xDeep but do not know if their wings will work with a DSS backplate. So, I'd need something that could be shipped.

Any wings to add to my 'just in case' list?
- 2nd hand DSS
- VDH
-

Thank you in advance!!

I dive a DSS plate and T26 wing. Works perfectly with many dives on it. However as DSS is now out of business, I would like to be prepared in case the wing, one day, does fail. There have been numerous mentions of the VDH wing working but does anyone have any actual experience with other wings? (not just ... it SHOULD work)

I live in a country with very little choice - I only have access to xDeep but do not know if their wings will work with a DSS backplate. So, I'd need something that could be shipped.

Any wings to add to my 'just in case' list?
- 2nd hand DSS
- VDH
-

Thank you in advance!!

DSS backplates have standard 11" spacing for wing attachment. It should work with most, if not all, wings, as the 11" spacing is the industry standard. Just ask if the particular wing you're interested in has 11" spacing.

DSS backplates have standard 11" spacing for wing attachment. It should work with most, if not all, wings, as the 11" spacing is the industry standard. Just ask if the particular wing you're interested in has 11" spacing.

I’ve used DSS, Hollis, Halcyon & Light Monkey wings with my DSS plate.

Back
Top Bottom