Trip Report SOCORRO 2021 TRIP REPORT, PIX, & VIDEO (LINKS)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
REV_1947(LR6)(LR6)-2.jpg

We just returned from a wonderful adventure exploring the waters of the Revillagigedo Archipelago, better known generically as the Socorro Island. We had a "Manta-tastic" time. The trip report is the same as what was in the newsletter (just formatted differently). The pix are on my SmugMug page and the video resides on YouTube.

Enjoy!!! And let me know if you have questions or comments. (And note that we're returning on the same boat in March of 2022 in case this all inspires you.)

SOCORRO 2021 TRIP REPORT

SOCORRO 2021 SMUGMUG PIX & SLIDESHOW

SOCORRO 2021 VIDEO (2½ MINUTES - SPEAKERS ON)

- Ken

Awesome !, thanks for sharing

Excellent photos and great report. Thanks for sharing. May I ask what setup used for photos & video.

May I ask what setup used for photos & video.
Thanks for the kind words.

STILLS: Nikon D750, Ikelite housing, mostly 28-105mm lens (very versatile but discontinued by Nikon), generally ISO800, 1/200th, various f-stops, dual Sea&Sea YS-D1s on manual.
VIDEO: GoPro Hero9 (first time using - was shooting with a 7), various POVs, Flip filters (cam tends to override filter which was an issue sometimes), dual Sola 2500s on LOW (which are more powerful than I'd like - preferred by 1200s on LOW but they both died).

I can't wait to get there, but I had to cancel my upcoming March trip because of the new quarantine requirements on return. I can't ask my job to cover me for nearly a month off. Hopefully next year will work out for me. Thanks for a nice report.

NEW INFO: Got a note today from one of the divers on our trip who lives out of state. Her LDS had the same trip a little over a week after ours (different operator). Hard crossings, rained most of the time, minimal mantas, not sure if they made it out to Roca, only saw a few Whitetips and Galapagos (whereas we had lots of each plus dozens and dozens of Silvertips, some Hammerheads, a couple of distant Tiger sightings, and a Whale Shark). Timing is everything. Whew!!!

NEW INFO: Got a note today from one of the divers on our trip who lives out of state. Her LDS had the same trip a little over a week after ours (different operator). Hard crossings, rained most of the time, minimal mantas, not sure if they made it out to Roca, only saw a few Whitetips and Galapagos (whereas we had lots of each plus dozens and dozens of Silvertips, some Hammerheads, a couple of distant Tiger sightings, and a Whale Shark). Timing is everything. Whew!!!

We got lucky in Roca Partida. Spent 2 days there. I think we got there a few days before you did. Besides the usual suspects, we saw schooling hammerheads, whalesharks, schooling of yellowfin tunas, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom