Fatal dive accident - Lake Werbellin, Germany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steph75

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Two dive instructors had a fatal accident last Sunday while diving in lake Werbellin.
Both divers were found in 6 m depth and were brought to the surface.
According to the dive computers they were at max. 38 m and spent approx. 20 minutes at 6 m depth, when they were found.
Resuscitation was unsuccessful and both died.

So sorry to hear this. My prayers are with them and their families. :(

On the german taucher.net board someone mentioned, that both were OOA.

Dying OOA in 6m depth is really strange.
I hope we can get more details on this one

Its very sad

from German forum Tauscher.net:
Two diving instructors die in an accident in Werbellinsee 31.1.

The two divers who had been involved in the accident were only two of them as a buddy team. Another buddy team found her by chance and brought her to the surface. According to the dive computer, the two lay at six meters for about 20 minutes. Before they were up to 38 m deep.

The resuscitation initiated immediately was unfortunately unsuccessful.

Original message:

Two Berlin diving instructors had a fatal accident on Sunday while diving in the Werbellinsee in the Barnim district. Witnesses had informed the rescue workers shortly after 1 p.m. after two diving instructors had failed to show up in a diving group.

The other divers immediately started their search and found the two motionless on the bottom of the lake at a depth of 6m.

More is currently not known and will be delivered later.

Source: Zwei Berliner Tauchlehrer ertrinken im Werbellinsee

Apologies for the translation issues from Google translate.

It looks like they were found by another diver team before the alarm was raised or before the searchers found them.

Link to the forum below

Zwei Tauchlehrer sterben bei Unfall im Werbellinsee 31.1. - Forenbeitrag auf Taucher.Net

Reading the Taucher.net postings a CO poisoning becomes a real possibility. Cousteau, in the Silent World, documents that the effects of CO poisoning at depth become more severe as the depth/pressure decreases.That both instructors were found completely OOG at 6M seems to contridict this theory though.

Michael

That both instructors were found completely OOG at 6M seems to contridict this theory though.
CO poisoning leads to extreme confusion and making stupid mistakes. I have suffered it at only 20 ft and it was debilitating. No, I'm not saying that's what happened here, but it's a distinct possibility.

Reading the Taucher.net postings a CO poisoning becomes a real possibility. Cousteau, in the Silent World, documents that the effects of CO poisoning at depth become more severe as the depth/pressure decreases.That both instructors were found completely OOG at 6M seems to contridict this theory though.

Michael

CO poisoning leads to extreme confusion and making stupid mistakes. I have suffered it at only 20 ft and it was debilitating. No, I'm not saying that's what happened here, but it's a distinct possibility.

With Carbon Monoxide (CO) i guess it would be a more or less instant death and the tanks wouldn't be empty.

With Carbon Monoxide (CO) i guess it would be a more or less instant death and the tanks wouldn't be empty.
They would fall asleep and drown. I dont think it was CO. The tanks wont be empty.

And CO is more dangerous at depth. But it happened at 6m after a 36m dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom