Covid testing in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tridacna, I don't get the point of your post. Do you just want to argue over semantics? I recommend the vaccine. I was shoulder to shoulder with a coworker who was positive on Thursday. We flew for over an hour in a small aircraft without masks. He was contagious at the time. He and his entire family were diagnosed on Monday as covid positive. I was tested Tuesday, and the results were negative. No sign of Covid present in the sample. I don't know about you, but to me that means I "don't have the disease".

Condoms are very effective at preventing pregnancy. Do some still get pregnant while using condoms? Yes. Does that mean you don't recommend using condoms to prevent pregnancy? The vaccine has been shown to be 94% effective at preventing covid disease.

You can argue semantics all day long, but what point are you trying to make? If you just want to prove you can find technical reasons to disagree, fine. In the real world, the vaccine shows it works. It worked for me. I don't think any of your posts change the immutable fact that the vaccine is effective.

Nothing to do with semantics. I disagree with your logic. I too have received my first shot but do not believe that it confers an added level of total immunity yet. I think that I may still get infected but only mildly and unlikely to to have serious symptoms. Until we've achieved some modicum of community immunity, it's still unsafe to hang out with others who may be infectious spreaders. I am currently working with a pharma company analyzing trial vaccine data sets. Results are interesting and I don't see 100% immunity being conferred by any of the currently available vaccines. I suspect that you avoiding infection was less a function of vaccinal immunity and more luck.

I still don't understand your point. Are you saying I shouldn't travel? Are you saying I shouldn't fly with pilots who haven't been vaccinated? In my post I said I recommend the vaccine. Do you disagree? I can't help who I am assigned to fly with. He is a covid denier and refused the vaccine when we were all offered it. Now he is positive. None of the vaccinated persons have contracted the virus. Is that a scientific proof of efficacy? No. But as you scientifically stated in your post "I suspect" it didn't hurt.

I still don't understand your point. Are you saying I shouldn't travel? Are you saying I shouldn't fly with pilots who haven't been vaccinated? In my post I said I recommend the vaccine. Do you disagree? I can't help who I am assigned to fly with. He is a covid denier and refused the vaccine when we were all offered it. Now he is positive. None of the vaccinated persons have contracted the virus. Is that a scientific proof of efficacy? No. But as you scientifically stated in your post "I suspect" it didn't hurt.
One thing that you should not be doing is flying shoulder-to-shoulder in a small plane without proper masks - that is asking for potential trouble. If you've been vaccinated, it MAY help you from getting sick, but may not prevent you from picking it up from your co-worker and then spreading it to others. Masks will help reduce (but not totally elimiate) that possibility.

I'll tell my boss you have suggestions to improve our flight ops. Helmets and headsets be damned! How do you feel about discharging weapons? Too risky? Some jobs you don't have the luxury of sitting in front of a computer with *almost zero risk. We do risk assessments prior to every mission. This is one of many risks we face, and the vaccine appears to be a good mitigator. I still don't get why you chose to pick a fight with me over recommending vaccines, but ok.

This is a good case for an employer making vaccinations compulsory for employment.

I'll tell my boss you have suggestions to improve our flight ops. Helmets and headsets be damned! How do you feel about discharging weapons? Too risky? Some jobs you don't have the luxury of sitting in front of a computer with *almost zero risk. We do risk assessments prior to every mission. This is one of many risks we face, and the vaccine appears to be a good mitigator. I still don't get why you chose to pick a fight with me over recommending vaccines, but ok.
If you are talking to me, I am not picking a fight - just pointing out a significant transmission risk posed by being in close proximity to another person without a mask - vaccinated or not.

BTW - what does discharging weapons have to do with this?

Not sure where all the extraneous accusations arise from?

Here’s my point: Vaccination is an excellent tool against the Covid virus. It does not make you immune to potential infection. QED.

It is a part of the job. Some would say it is risky. Nothing is 100 percent. Tires fail, engines quit, guns jam. No, vaccines aren't 100 percent effective or provide total immunity. But I'll get them and take my chances.

It is a part of the job. Some would say it is risky. Nothing is 100 percent. Tires fail, engines quit, guns jam. No, vaccines aren't 100 percent effective or provide total immunity. But I'll get them and take my chances.
Vaccines are one tool (a big one) in breaking the back of this pandemic - but not magic bullets. For the foreseeable future, masks and social distancing even for those already vaccinated, will be necessary. It sucks - but it’s the reality if we want to get this behind us.

No one is arguing that. As I type I am wearing a mask and standing 10 feet from the nearest person. I never said 'get the vaccine and you are done'.

I would love it if my agency required the vaccine but unfortunately the heads of the agency have been deniers since the start as well.

Back
Top Bottom