My First Dive Computer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My first dive computer I bought in 1987, the US DIVERS DATA SCAN 3 PRO AIR INTEGRATED COMPUTER. Although I had been using dive tables since I started diving in the 70's, I never had to use dive tables for recreational diving since 1987. The only time I used dive tables was/is when I teach dive tables and deco. theory for my students. This computer was ahead of its time, it even was air integrated. The first version of the Data Scan used to give equivalent nitrogen group letter but that was eliminated very quickly in the later upgraded versions of this computer.

Dive computers have come a long way in these 30+ years since I bought my first DC. I believe that dive table use has become largely irrelevant to the greater majority of recreational divers these days but understanding decompression theory concepts will still be very essential in safe diving (I am referring to recreational diving in this context).

When using a diving computer, it is imperative to have a solid understanding and comprehension of decompression theory, as well as the correct use of the diving computer to ensure safety and to reduce the chance of serious injuries in diving.

When did you first start using dive computers? What model did you use and are you using dive tables still?

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-4_23-54-58.jpeg
    upload_2021-2-4_23-54-58.jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 107
20201019_121924.jpg
20201019_121842.jpg

My first , still works, I change the battery myself, don't use it now, why do I keep it ?

Dive computers have come a long way in these 30+ years since I bought my first DC. I believe that dive table use has become largely irrelevant to the greater majority of recreational divers these days but understanding decompression theory concepts will still be very essential in safe diving (I am referring to recreational diving in this context). . . . When did you first start using dive computers? What model did you use and are you using dive tables still?
My first DC was a Suunto Vytec. I bought it in 2004, about three years after I started diving. I still 'use' tables as a 'reality check' for dive planning.

I agree with both of your points, that tables have become increasingly irrelevant to many recreational divers, AND that understanding decompression theory remains essential. As an Instructor, I find that using tables to explain the concepts of nitrogen accumulation is actually somewhat easier than using a DC - tables are a great summary visual aid. As a diver, however, I felt very comfortable without a DC, even after I bought my first DC. Frankly, for recreational diving, my DC is primarily a depth gauge and timer, and I use the RDP as a planning tool for bottom time.

When did you first start using dive computers? What model did you use and are you using dive tables still?
My first dive computer was an Oceanic ProPlus 2. I got it around 2003 or 2004, IIRC. I still have tables, and know how to use them, but for the most part, I just use them as reference from time to time. For dives, I use the computer.

My first dive computer is a Suunto Cobra 1. I bought it in 2000 and I'm still using it and it has never failed.
suunto.jpg

for recreational diving, my DC is primarily a depth gauge and time
That's why I have one of these as a back up on some dives.
20201227_080648.jpg

I think around 1993/4 I started to explore some wrecks at the limits of recreational scuba. Up to then it was a PADI Wheel that replaced my use of Navy tables. I bought a Cochran Commander Air (nitrox still wasn't "mainstream"). It was one of the few PDC units that would never lock you out. Worked fine up to 2001 when I took an 8-year surface interval, and it bricked when the capacitors lost their power. Cochran gave me such a generous trade-up that I couldn't resist - an EMC20H. Dove it a few years, but cought the SW bug with a Petrel1 (just months before the Petrel was released). I bought it because of doing AN/DP. That is now a back-up to a Pedrix AI. Wife adopted the Cochran as she likes the size of the screen and I was able to get a console mount for it (she requires one - no comment).

I can't remember the model, it was a Sherwood circa 1996. Traded it for the Oceanic my wife uses currently in mid the 2000s.

As for tables, I think some people think their PDC is working out the table for them rather than calculating the algorithm that was used to create the table. That's why they seem to think the table is required to teach decompression theory. The table is not the algorithm, but a manual dive computer.

I can't remember the model, it was a Sherwood circa 1996. Traded it for the Oceanic my wife uses currently in mid the 2000s.

As for tables, I think some people think their PDC is working out the table for them rather than calculating the algorithm that was used to create the table. That's why they seem to think the table is required to teach decompression theory. The table is not the algorithm, but a manual dive computer.

Perhaps true, but I'd likely struggle to visualize anything on a PDC screen havig anything to do with what is happening in regard to tissue loading and repetitive dives if I just started with the "magic box" (tissue loading graphs are a fantastic recent implementation, thanks SW).

YMMV

Perhaps true, but I'd likely struggle to visualize anything on a PDC screen havig anything to do with what is happening in regard to tissue loading and repetitive dives if I just started with the "magic box" (tissue loading graphs are a fantastic recent implementation, thanks SW).

YMMV

I'm not a dive instructor (I have taught highly technical fields), but I certainly wouldn't use a PDC to teach deco theory. I don't believe a table shows you anything a PDC does not either.

Back
Top Bottom