Petrel One Battery Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

14500s work fine. Been using one on my meg for 5 ish years now. They also work in the petrel and Perdix and I just charge them with my backup light batteries.

do you have any specific brand recommendations for 14500’s?

The battery life on 14500's is a lot less than Energizer Lithiums. I have used 14500's in my Petrels for a time and found I was changing / charging cells a lot more than I like to. It's okay if you are just day tripping, but they can't be counted on to last for a 1 week vacation trip with 20+ dives. I really don't like to change batteries and clear tissues in the middle of a trip.

I think the Energizers are the best mix of battery life and convenience. Alkalines can leak, SAFTs are more expensive and have a low quality knockoff's in the market, and lithium rechargeables will discharge in storage. I can keep a few Energizer Lithiums in my spares kit for a year or two with no worries.

I bit the bullet and went to SAFT myself. Costs more, but the only solution providing what I consider a reasonable battery life. If I'm going on a week long trip somewhere, the SAFT gets replaced. If I'm not, then annually or when the DC shows less than 100%. It's far more expensive than other options, but really it's under $20 with o-rings. I've bought them at dive shops such as Cave Country and not had any bad ones come my way. You can get them from newark (trustworthy electronics retailer, not the city) for like $10 without o-rings. I don't think I'd trust any fo the SAFT 14500's that you find online for $5. Seems too good to be true.

I used the energizer primary lithiums for a while. I think they lasted a month or so for me. I even used a regular alkaline once in a pinch. Never tried NiMH rechargeable.

do you have any specific brand recommendations for 14500’s?

I have had really good luck with Orbtronic batteries. 14500 Battery 1100mAh Protected 3.7V Li-ion Rechargeable Cell Button Top I have been using them for about 2 years now in my rebreather Petrel's and stand alone Perdix's. No issues they hold a charge still after 2 years of use, also they are made in Japan not China. As others have said yes they don't last as long as SAFT's (I would guess about half the life of a SAFT) but who cares they are rechargeable I have 4 of them and rotate them between computers, when one is about half full I just put a fresh one in and charge the other then you never have to play the game of lets see how many more dives I can get out of my SAFT with out it dying mid dive to get my money's worth.
I also have Panasonic Eneloop's I use in strobes and other misc electronics. These are kind of the golden standard for rechargeable NiMH batteries. Cant go wrong with these either.

Also rechargeable are much better for the environment and ocean. Befor I just used the regular cheapy AA's you buy a the checkout line and was using about 10 a year now have 4 and just keep re-using them. And the real saving is with strobe batteries.

I normally get 90+ hours from my SAFTS, and checking my logs, barely 30 hours from a Duracell AA or Energizer AA (not sure which exact specs though).

You can buy a giant pack of batteries for what two saft batteries cost, and it’ll last you a lot longer.

Jim, to answer your question, we started using SW around the same time. I think I may have even sold you that Predator before you started your dive shop. Usually I can finish the day of diving with a 50% indication on my Petrel. I think / hope it was a fluke or bad battery.

I normally get 90+ hours from my SAFTS, and checking my logs, barely 30 hours from a Duracell AA or Energizer AA (not sure which exact specs though).

I believe you are right. But I can buy a 16pack at Costco for $10 bucks. 30x16 >1x90 for that $10 :)

If you use SAFT's make sure they are genuine. Divetronix educated me on them. Genuine ones have a date code and made in france stamped on them. If they don't have both, they are not copies and not to be trusted.

I started a cave dive yesterday with my Petrel 1 with the battery icon showing 50%. I did not look at the voltage. I had an Energizer Ultimate Lithium battery in it, and the computer was set for that battery.

Moments after getting into the water the computer went blank. Would not restart. Got it home and replaced the battery and it works just fine now.

Seems odd the battery icon showed 50% & died within a few minutes.

Anyone else experienced this issue?

Luckily I had my Perdix AI on also. it worked just fine so we could make the dive.

Hi,

I own a Petrel 2 and have had this happen on a few occasions while diving in cold water (typically 40F).

On one memorable occasion the battery icon went from 75% full, to amber, to red and then to a power down during a single 150 ft dive.

Since then I've replaced the batteries proactively for "big" dives - i.e. when I need to know my depth and decompression obligation.

Most batteries provide less power when cold - standard alkaline cells seem to be especially susceptible.

regards,

Rory

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom