Somewhere other than Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grateful head

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, we have a trip planned for Coz next month, plane tickets bought. However, in light of the travel restrictions that went into effect Jan 26th and potentially more to come, looking for a (maybe) plan B. We have been to Largo twice and dove in and around the John Pennekamp reef and to be honest, in my opinion, it was just ok. So I am really set on Coz next month but my wife is getting cold feet about possibly having to quarantine there for two weeks as well as being on an airplane. Looking for recommendations for something I may have missed in the U.S. I mentioned to her that we could do Jupiter or other Florida east coast wreck diving and that didn’t interest her because she doesn’t like wrecks or cooler water. Kinda puts Monterey out of the question as well,I think due to cooler water temps. So do I have any better choice than Key Largo for a plan B?

I just researched restrictions for the U.S. Virgin Islands and it said “ travelers traveling to Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands and those arriving via a land border like Canada and Mexico are exempt” from the restrictions put in place on January 26th. Can someone who knows more about this please try to explain?

You'll have to go further south to get the water temps (I assume) you're looking for. Even Coz will only be high 70's to low 80's I think. We're also going to Coz next month and crossing our fingers.

Would you say better than Key Largo?

Regarding Southeast FL (Boynton Beach north to Jupiter) it depends upon what you want to see. For the fish and larger critters (sharks, turtles, eels, etc.), they are as good or in some instances better than Key Largo. If the hard and soft corals are what you want to see they can't complete with Key Largo.

So, we have a trip planned for Coz next month, plane tickets bought. However, in light of the travel restrictions that went into effect Jan 26th and potentially more to come, looking for a (maybe) plan B. We have been to Largo twice and dove in and around the John Pennekamp reef and to be honest, in my opinion, it was just ok. So I am really set on Coz next month but my wife is getting cold feet about possibly having to quarantine there for two weeks as well as being on an airplane. Looking for recommendations for something I may have missed in the U.S. I mentioned to her that we could do Jupiter or other Florida east coast wreck diving and that didn’t interest her because she doesn’t like wrecks or cooler water. Kinda puts Monterey out of the question as well,I think due to cooler water temps. So do I have any better choice than Key Largo for a plan B?
If you want to go on a live-aboard....try the Juliet - departs out of Miami with various destinations....Juliet Sailing and Diving....check out their web-site.....

These are all great ideas, I will research them more. Any thoughts to my second post regarding not needing to be retested upon re-entry to the us from somewhere like St Croix and possibly land borders like Canada and Mexico? Went back to CDC website and couldn’t confirm or deny.

We are in St. Croix now. You need a negative test 72 hours before arrival no retest to return to the US. Weather 72 low 84 high for the last month. Water Temps 78 on the North and 80 on the west.Pleasanty surprised how good the diving is here. We have been mixing boat dives and shore dives.The fredericksted pier is absolutely a must dive especially at night. Most of the shore dives are in the north in the Cane Bay area.Only drawbacks are that swim outs are much longer than say Bonaire and waves can be an issue.Overall glad we came here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom