Thoughts on Tres Pelicanos vs Aldora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last winter, We were on island and looking to dive the East side. Having heard Aldora sometimes took a boat over there, I called to ask about it and was told something like “we sometimes go there, but only with our regular customers”. So my personal experience is that its not really an available option.

Generally when the port is closed Aldora has to give priority to those already diving with them and capacity can be limited. Should be understandable.

dave dillehay

Generally when the port is closed Aldora has to give priority to those already diving with them and capacity can be limited. Should be understandable.

dave dillehay

My question stands, when was the last east side trip? The port has been closed lots of days in the past few months.

Several refs in this thread of the "buffet breakfast" at Casa Mexicana. From what I've read lately, due to Covid, that has turned into a sit down and order operation.

Also, way in the past I dove with a cheapo op for several years - water bottles only. I learned to always pack cookies or some fruit for me and to share. Now with other ops I almost feel spoiled by the SI treats. One time I went with We-B-Diving and they served a full-on lunch that was hard to resist... I didn't. It was a learning experience as I felt overly full and somewhat yucky on the 2nd dive.

Several refs in this thread of the "buffet breakfast" at Casa Mexicana. From what I've read lately, due to Covid, that has turned into a sit down and order operation.

Also, way in the past I dove with a cheapo op for several years - water bottles only. I learned to always pack cookies or some fruit for me and to share. Now with other ops I almost feel spoiled by the SI treats. One time I went with We-B-Diving and they served a full-on lunch that was hard to resist... I didn't. It was a learning experience as I felt overly full and somewhat yucky on the 2nd dive.
To each his own, but to me it's just a boat ride; the dive is the main event and I don't care much about the rest.

But with nine boats and various levels of divers Aldora can, depending on weather conditions offer many sites on the eastside that few ever get to see. And when conditions are right, bucket list dives to the far north in mid channel for experienced divers…you ever get close to a 9 ft sleeping Caribbean Reef shark while surrounded by Eagle Rays and dolphins?

While I doubt they specifically contract to take divers they don't yet know to advanced sites, I have a couple of questions that may be of interest to some.

1.) Is east coast diving only for when the west is not diveable, or do they plan trips at times just to take people who've dove the west before 'somewhere new?' Kind of like how people who've been to Bonaire a few times hit that east coast for something different (and it is!).

2.) If someone qualified for it really wanted to do one of those far north dives, how would they stack their odds? Is it strictly 'luck of the draw,' if you're there one week when enough capable people are around the staff offer or someone pushes for it? Is there a time of year this is more likely? Is there a minimum number of capable divers for such a trip?

I get that other factors, such as how booked up and pre-planned the boats are, will also play into this, but since these are distinctive Aldora Diver offerings, I imagine some people would like to know. Thanks.

I hear you on avoiding a lot of food before diving.

Used to actually have a full lunch during 2 hour+ SI between deep dives. Over the years I basically have learned to avoid food entirely before/between dives. I am just more comfortable without a lot of food digesting in stomach. Clearly not all people want or need to do this, but it works for me. Don’t exactly need a bunch of energy for Cozumel drift diving. Also makes the post diving meal and margarita taste that much better!

While I doubt they specifically contract to take divers they don't yet know to advanced sites, I have a couple of questions that may be of interest to some.

1.) Is east coast diving only for when the west is not diveable, or do they plan trips at times just to take people who've dove the west before 'somewhere new?' Kind of like how people who've been to Bonaire a few times hit that east coast for something different (and it is!).

2.) If someone qualified for it really wanted to do one of those far north dives, how would they stack their odds? Is it strictly 'luck of the draw,' if you're there one week when enough capable people are around the staff offer or someone pushes for it? Is there a time of year this is more likely? Is there a minimum number of capable divers for such a trip?

I get that other factors, such as how booked up and pre-planned the boats are, will also play into this, but since these are distinctive Aldora Diver offerings, I imagine some people would like to know. Thanks.
I have over 150 dives with Aldora over the last few years and this is my experience.
(1)I have missed about 3 days of diving due to Norte's while I was there. Those time Aldora was not offering dives on the east side. My thinking is they need to know diving will be shut down more than a day or so, I might be wrong. I rarely request a particular 1st dive and just tend to go with the flow. One time I was with a group that requested to go around the light house and dive east side. The captain tried but it was too rough to get around and we had to settle on Maricaibo. On another occasion the group I was with requested to go, as we were underway, and we were able to get arounf and dive on the east side.

(2) I go down there solo so this may make a difference. I have been open to do the adventure dive and have requested it a few times but not had the opportunity. Weather comes into play as well as space on the boat. Sometimes I wonder if they just don't feel like I am "advanced enough".

There is plenty between Paradise reef and Columbia to keep me entertained. Anything else is just extra.

My question stands, when was the last east side trip? The port has been closed lots of days in the past few months.

I know they dived east on Jan. 23... seems like a few days earlier and maybe more recently in the year, too, but I haven't hit it right to go yet this year - except going around past Punta Sur park on the boats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom