Bungee wing vs Non Bungee wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the HOG 32 bungee wing and have no problem with it. I had to thread the bungee through, so if I didn't want it, I'd just leave it off. Then it's a normal 32 wing. I like the bungees for conformability, but it isn't necessary since you can ditch the bungee cord and have normal wing, if that's what you want...

i dunno....ive been running the OMS deep ocean 94 and honestly im happy with it.

there is 0 difference between oral inflation between a bungie wing and a non-bungie wing.

if you get a hole in ANY wing....water pressure is going to push air out regardless of whether you have bungies or not..

entanglement hazard?....maybe if you are doing a wreck penetration.....but even that one seems like a stretch.

ive not had any issues venting air.....it doesnt "trap air"....that is a straight up fabrication.

im not a hard core bungie advocate...i have wings with and without bungies and they dive exactly the same..but some of the claims against bungeed wings are just straight up crap.

if you get a hole in ANY wing....water pressure is going to push air out regardless of whether you have bungies or not...
Nope, non bungee loses some air, but not all due to counter pressure of the air. One dive my inflator connection on the wing came loose and I could still retain a lot of air in the wing by keeping horizontal. With bungee wings however you will lose (more if not all) air because the bungee forcing the air out.

32 lbs seems small for a twinset where 40 lbs is more common. 32 lbs is more like a single wing.

The old Buzz Lightyear 90 lb double bladder wings, like the one pictured on the vid, are a thing of the past. These started due to the weight of the massive batteries required for cave diving ‘headlights' in the days before LEDs. The bungees were essential to shrink the mahooooosive bladder when deflated.

Also there’s two types of wing, horseshoe and doughnut. Doughnut wings balance gas across the sides. Horseshoe frequently needs intervention to transfer gas from one side to the other, e.g. rolling to one side.

The "old" OMS and the "new" gusset are entirely different applications. This is an apples to oranges comparison. One squeezes/compresses the wing volume, the later just holds it in place (taco) I dive various wings with the gusset style system.. like them a bunch.

I owned one of the original BWODs and never died. I even punctured it good and yet I live. No drama. No close shave where I barely made it. Someone noticed it was leaking and when I pulled it apart it was. Two tire patches and it was good to go. Yes, I reinstalled the bungee.

Quite often, people have to whine about something to feel important. They treat bungees like a boogeyman with all the fear and paranoia. I find their arguments against to be based on pure emotion with little regard for the facts. The bungee on the Hog setup is nothing like the BWOD which actually compressed the wind.

I owned one of the original BWODs and never died. I even punctured it good and yet I live. No drama. No close shave where I barely made it. Someone noticed it was leaking and when I pulled it apart it was. Two tire patches and it was good to go. Yes, I reinstalled the bungee.

Quite often, people have to whine about something to feel important. They treat bungees like a boogeyman with all the fear and paranoia. I find their arguments against to be based on pure emotion with little regard for the facts. The bungee on the Hog setup is nothing like the BWOD which actually compressed the wind.
I think it is mostly a GUE thing, after all, they wouldn't be GUE if they couldn't find something to get their knickers in a twist over.

I’ve owned 8 different wings over the years all non-bungee. Some were doubles & some singles. I never understood the value of a bungeed wing. It didn’t appeal to me and didn’t seem necessary.

I’ve had plenty of buddies who have had a bungeed wing. They liked them and never died using them.

To each their own.

Back
Top Bottom