For Sale Official Freedom Plate List: Please respond here.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric had contacted me to complete my order (from Nov 2019). Can someone comment on the two wedge options or point me to an applicable post?

Here's what he told me:

"The [tall] plate is 4 lbs.
The regular wedge is 12 oz., and the heavy wedge is 1 lb 5 oz.
The basic plates are $200
Standard wedge is $35
Heavy wedge is $45
Plus shipping."

The standard is great for warm water. The heavy would be for diving in cold water. If you want your rig to be good for both, I would go Standard and add weight as needed for cold water.

The heavy wedge is a brand new option started with this run. Nobody has dived them yet.
The regular wedge is cut out of 1/8” (10 GA) stainless 2” square tube, and the heavy is twice as thick cut from 1/4” x 2” square tube.
Quoting more info on the wedge in Eric's PM to me. I hope this helps some other folks figure out what options they want.

The wedge is an optional adapter bracket to better position the tank by kicking the bottom out a few degrees so the tank lines up with the axis of your body a little better.
If you’re using the VDH or Oxycheq wing then the wedge doesn’t necessarily need to be used because those wings have top and bottom roll control cushions that move the plate out from the tank. Because of the open center area with no continuous roll control logs on those wings, it gives the plate room so it doesn’t high center on the tank.
However with other wings that have continuous roll logs like Hog or Deep6 or others, the wedge would be needed. The wedge would also be needed if a person decided to use the plate with no wing at all like for vintage style diving etc.
Some people who take the regular plate traveling choose to leave the wedge behind to save weight, and since they mostly use aluminum 80’s at vacation spots, the lift of the tank is enough to relieve tank weight resting on the butt.
That’s why I decided to break up the options, so people could pick and choose their accessories instead of being stuck with something they will never use.

FWIW, I went with a standard wedge.

Eric has turned us all into a bunch of squealing 5-year olds waiting for Santa.

And it continues when diving, or even in its presence or just when thinking about the Freedom Plate

Eric had contacted me to complete my order (from Nov 2019). Can someone comment on the two wedge options or point me to an applicable post?

Here's what he told me:

"The [tall] plate is 4 lbs.
The regular wedge is 12 oz., and the heavy wedge is 1 lb 5 oz.
The basic plates are $200
Standard wedge is $35
Heavy wedge is $45
Plus shipping."

I ordered a wedge (one of the early aluminum ones) to go with my plate, but after experimenting a bit, found I don't really need it (I have a 35 VDH wing). Yeah, the tank sometimes rests on my butt a bit, but not uncomfortably so, and the stabilizers in my wing are more than sufficient to keep the tank from rolling.

I would like to order a thin SS small plate (5’1, 125 lb female). It looks like it might be good to get a wedge. I am just switching to BP/W and am not sure what wing I will use yet. Not sure about polish or not either. What is cost and ETA for polished versus not? Any good closer up side by side pics in the forum?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom