Yearning for Cozumel weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, 85 degrees in Cozumel, getting off the plane to 24 below was quite a dramatic change. At times I wonder why we live here. And then summer comes along and we are reminded.

Wunderground keeps revising downward the predicted low temperature for Monday night here in Austin. It is down to 3 degrees F as of now (Friday afternoon).

Wunderground keeps revising downward the predicted low temperature for Monday night here in Austin. It is down to 3 degrees F as of now (Friday afternoon).
And increasing your snow expectations...!

000.jpg

After spending my entire life living in the northeast, I am enjoying my first (and hopefully last) Georgia winter. Mid 70s yesterday, today in the 50s. My down parka is in storage where it belongs. Love not being cold.

2/12/1899: Arctic cold stiffens Tulia

On this day in 1899, Tulia, Texas, reported the coldest temperature ever recorded in the state--minus 23 degrees Fahrenheit. This was part of the "Big Freeze," an infamous norther that killed 40,000 cattle across the state overnight. This temperature was matched in Seminole in 1933. The highest temperature recorded for Texas was 120.

2/12/1899: Arctic cold stiffens Tulia

On this day in 1899, Tulia, Texas, reported the coldest temperature ever recorded in the state--minus 23 degrees Fahrenheit. This was part of the "Big Freeze," an infamous norther that killed 40,000 cattle across the state overnight. This temperature was matched in Seminole in 1933. The highest temperature recorded for Texas was 120.

Price of beef must have crashed next day...

I guess some was scavenged locally as there were no rules then and people did what they had to do to survive. Prices at railheads and back east must have gone up significantly. I'm sure that the local buzzards and other scavengers had a good spring.

Beef producers rely on cattle to aid in their own demise by moving themselves around. Harvesting 40,000 dead animals out in fields somewhere in a timely manner would be extremely difficult to impossible even today. I suspect that, as Don suggested, the opposite happened.

BTW, Wunderground has revised its predicted low temperature in Austin Monday night upward from 3 degrees F to 9 degrees F. Break out the shorts and Tshirts.

Beef producers rely on cattle to aid in their own demise by moving themselves around. Harvesting 40,000 dead animals out in fields somewhere in a timely manner would be extremely difficult to impossible even today. I suspect that, as Don suggested, the opposite happened.

I was just kidding...

Back
Top Bottom