CESA Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was claimed CESA saved thousands of lives. I’m just providing the evidence (science) that CESA isn’t recorded once in 10 years of incident reports.
A successful CESA will not appear in an incident report, because there will be no incident to report.

Yes, valve removal is easy.
Agree, I personally would take a back up camera if I have extra room to spare. You need to tighten it with torque wrench normally if you go by the book and not good for the threads for the long term.

Agree, I personally would take a back up camera if I have extra room to spare. You need to tighten it with torque wrench normally if you go by the book and not good for the threads for the long term.

LOL, yeah sure, we have all seen a bunch of tanks which were condemned because of "worn out" neck threads..

Torque is minimal as the O ring does the sealing. The valve contacts the tank when tight so over torquing is what damages the threads. Both the O ring and the threads get a tiny bit of O2 safe silicone grease so the wear is negligible.
Thanks for the concern though!

Cheers!

Once again, I think and hope that I will never experience an OOA situation. I am way less certain about buddy separation. And no one can anticipate a first stage reg failure in the closed position. The day I have to stop, thicovered in this threank then act, I wish to know what are my options. And there are many cases when pony or any other redundancies are not options.
I agree. Yes, you can always take your pony. What if it's reg craps out too? Yes I know chances of that are incredibly remote. CESA is just another option. Another way to feel just a bit more secure.
Of course I don't take my pony on 30' dives since I know I can CESA from there. But the thread is about CESA from deep, when I would probably have my pony.
I think it should continue to be taught.
I think a solution to the instructor problem of too many at once should be solved.
I think OW students should be explained the many good safety points (redundancy, etc.) covered in this thread.

A regulator will normally provide an intermediate pressure of around 135 psi above the ambient pressure. That is, as along as the tank pressure is sufficiently high.

When the tank pressure drops below the normal intermediate pressure of around (135 +/- plus ambient) then the second stage will be delivered gas at whatever pressure that happens to be in the tank at that moment. We could generate some specific numbers to demonstrate this, but I doubt that is really needed.

The availability of that gas for the diver to use is simply a function of the difference between the tank pressure and the ambient pressure. As long as there is a positive difference, you can get gas from the regulator when the demand valve is opened. If you doubt this fact, simply take the dust cap off your regulator and suck.. You will get air, slowly of course, because you are sucking a very small vacuum (difference between the air pressure at the first stage inlet and the internal space of the second stage hose).

In other words, the normal IP of the regulator does not really come into play, but rather the pressure in the tank.
That isn't what a regulator designer told me, but okay. Not going to bicker on this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom