G260 vs d420?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubapro simplified the S620 tuning so that it's identical to the G260. Supposedly they created some improvements on the exhaust side as well, but that's something I seriously doubt you could feel while using it.

Forgot to mention, both the G260 and D420 have better purge buttons than any S series reg. Nice and snappy and solid feeling rather than the mushy rubber purge cover style.
I have a D420 and a new 620Ti that came in yesterday...once weather gets nicer here I will compare them

Scubapro simplified the S620 tuning so that it's identical to the G260. Supposedly they created some improvements on the exhaust side as well, but that's something I seriously doubt you could feel while using it.

Forgot to mention, both the G260 and D420 have better purge buttons than any S series reg. Nice and snappy and solid feeling rather than the mushy rubber purge cover style.
I must say I love the simplicity of servicing the S620ti... Where performance vs simplicity is concerned this is a very elegant internal design.

I must say I love the simplicity of servicing the S620ti... Where performance vs simplicity is concerned this is a very elegant internal design.

You use one underwater much? I've wondered whether the exhaust improvements can be felt or not.

You use one underwater much? I've wondered whether the exhaust improvements can be felt or not.

I only did a couple of dives with one on an Atomic 1st stage to compare with an Atomic 2nd. And at the moment we can only do shallow beach dives due to lockdown restrictions. At 30 feet I did not notice much difference in the exhalation feel. I might be imagining the Atomic with its eliptical exhaust membrane to be easier to exhale, but air density at depth changes characteristics.

One thing I did notice though is that the fully adjustable venturi on the S620ti (an adjustable vane like on most regs) can be set to achieve a stronger venturi effect, if the reg is tuned to lowest resistance (1" cracking effort). Then the reg really pushes air, which seems to be something that manufacturers avoid nowadays, but I like it. My Atomic breathes smoother (also adjusted to ca. 1"), and won't cross over into positive flow as much, but it is great too.

Overall it is actually very easy to forget which of the regs you are breathing from, after a minute or so. At 130 feet depth the differences might be more pronounced, but I can't get there at the moment. I think the regs mentioned in the previous posts all breathe great (have to try a D420 at some point), so other aspects like parts availability, cost etc come into play ..

For a myriad of reasons, some just plain stupid, I prefer the G260.
And what to do you prefer between a G250V and a G260?

And what to do you prefer between a G250V and a G260?

Hmmm that's a hard one. I like the size of the G260 but performance wise, again, there's not much in it.

Given the lower parts count and ease of tuning think I'd give the nod to the G250V.

The only concern I have about the G250V is the alarming rate at which hard parts are becoming NLA.

The D420 is one of the easiest second stages to disassemble and reassemble.

G260 D420 side by side, IMO, at my usual rec depths there's not much in it that I noticed.

For a myriad of reasons, some just plain stupid, I prefer the G260.
See I didn't think the D420 was any easier than a conventional 2nd stage to disassemble or reassemble, but that might just be due to familiarity. I think it has north of 40 or 50 pieces if you're counting orings. It also might have one of the most expensive service kits if I'm not mistaken.

The D420 for me just solidified my preference for user adjustable regs. Nothing like stopping a leak by turning a knob

Yes, the D420 is SP's most expensive second stage kit. I still think it's one of the easiest to disassemble/reassemble regardless of parts count on schematic not all those parts come as separates but assembled sets IIRC.

It's a fine second stage without a doubt, but it's not some miraculous heavenly leap forward in performance. Personally I'll stick with a G series.

"Nothing like stopping a leak by turning a knob", agree.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom