Atomic Aquatic Regulators.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scrane

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been diving with an Atomic Z2 for about five years and there's really not a lot I know about it. This is primarily because it has been trouble free and virtually transparent while diving. Easy breathing, dry breathing, and with no bad habits to draw attention to itself.

I recently picked up a used Z1 second stage and started doing a little research because my interest in regulator design and function has increased and to provide the older reg with service if necessary.

Atomic offers an alphabet soup of model names and numbers, primarily to designate materials incorporated in the same basic design, but surprisingly the mechanics seem to have changed very little over the last 25 years.

I would be grateful if others could share their knowledge of the history, design, construction, service and what it is that makes Atomic regulators special.

You pretty much know most of it from the looks of it. A couple Scubapro engineers left and started Atomic, and essentially have been making MK10 clones ever since.

The 1st stages went thru a piston and seat change, and they got rid of a funky teflon spring washer piece on the HP side. A few changes in 2nd stage styling, but it really is a case of if it ain't broke don't fix it.

The 2nd stages are uncommon in the fact that they have an automatic seat saver function when the regulator is unpressurized. It extends the life of the reg between servicing and it's why you shouldn't dunk the reg unless it's pressurized

The Automatic Flow Control (depth self-adjusting venturi vane) is also kinda unique to their second stages. The two guys who started Atomic where Dean Garraffa (designed Scubapro’s G series regs) and Doug Toth (designed Scubapro’s D series). They wanted to experiment with different exotic materials and continue with the environmentally sealed pistons, both of which Scubapro wasn’t keen on, so they started their own company. I’ve heard that it all started when they wanted to make an all titanium 1st stage and Scubapro said “no”, can’t verify though.

The Automatic Flow Control (depth self-adjusting venturi vane) is also kinda unique to their second stages. The two guys who started Atomic where Dean Garraffa (designed Scubapro’s G series regs) and Doug Toth (designed Scubapro’s D series). They wanted to experiment with different exotic materials and continue with the environmentally sealed pistons, both of which Scubapro wasn’t keen on, so they started their own company. I’ve heard that it all started when they wanted to make an all titanium 1st stage and Scubapro said “no”, can’t verify though.
I forgot about that bit. Probably because I prefer having that control to be manual. But it is kind of a neat idea.

The M1 2nd stage purge cover is also kind of neat in that it has its vents located on the side so it's less prone to leaking in a current or scootering.

I forgot about that bit. Probably because I prefer having that control to be manual. But it is kind of a neat idea.

The M1 2nd stage purge cover is also kind of neat in that it has its vents located on the side so it's less prone to leaking in a current or scootering.
And the optional “cave ring” that lets you take the purge cover off without risking the diaphragm falling out. My favorite M1 feature is the extra wide exhaust T.

Here are some service resources I've been able to find:
Atomic z2 2nd.jpg
Atomic Second Stage air tube schematic.PNG

Service guide (T1x, T1, B1, B2, Z1, M1,SS1)
Atomic Assy Repair 2003.pdf50 KBytes - Frogkick.dk

Atomic Technical Training Powerpoint 1st Stage:
https://www.divestock.com/downloads/dl/file/id/101/atomic_repair_procedures_2003_1st_stage.pdf

Atomic Technical Training Powerpoint 2nd Stage:
https://www.divestock.com/downloads/dl/file/id/102/atomic_repair_procedures_2003_2nd_stages.pdf

Does anyone have a source for schematics and diagrams? Videos? Also, the above seem to be aplicable to older models. Are newer models the same?

That lack of change is one of the more “special” things about Atomic, there were a few minor changes to the second stage case and some cover changes but all of the parts can interchange although you may need to change the cover ring to use a newer cover.

Back
Top Bottom