CESA Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A successful CESA will not appear in an incident report, because there will be no incident to report.
Agree, and to be honest this might qualify as cesa:
“Towards the end of a 3 min safety stop at 4m the diver signalled 'out of air', 'up' and made a controlled ascent. He had felt that as they were just below the surface he did not think it was necessary to take his buddy's alternate source. He surfaced with a dive duration of 44 min to a maximum depth of 17m. His buddy surfaced almost straight after and, with a fully inflated his wing BCD which the diver held onto, he orally inflated the diver's BCD”

Science, man. Science. Not empty sentences.
1- Whether you fully inhale or not changes everything. And it is pure logic. The difference between being able to exhale for 30 or 60 seconds and only 10.

BS. 1) You don't need to exhale. You only exhale for the test because the instructor needs to see the bubbles. IRL you only need to keep the airway open so that the expanding gas goes out that way. Science calls it the path of the least resistance. 2) 30 and 60 seconds needn't apply because at 10 metres/minute you need 60 seconds for every 10 metres. Scientists call this basic arithmetic. And last but not least 3) this has nothing to do with the urge to breathe and inhale water and drown because that is controlled by CO2 build-up and has nothing to do with air you have in your lungs when you start the exercise.

That isn't what a regulator designer told me, but okay. Not going to bicker on this.

Thanks, I don't want to engage in that kind of dialog either. Your basic point was that on ascent additional air can become available from the tank/regulator. That point is entirely correct and valid and it is one reason why it is best to keep the regulator in your mouth, so that you can slowly draw any air that becomes available. That one aspect is very important and could be the difference between making the ascent or not, so it should be emphasized. The physics or mechanics of the situation are not really relevant to the outcome, I just offered it because I see this apparent mis-conception repeated often.

A few weeks ago, I had a buddy who ran low on air at 90 (he went up earlier than me so he was alone). When I got on the boat, he said that when he signaled he was going up, he was already getting resistance on his regulator. He said he had never done this before so rather than switching to his pony, he just wanted to experiment and see how the ascent would go.

He was very surprised to report that he was able to do a pretty much normal ascent and even completed some portion of a safety stop on the dwindling air supply.

Not something to be emulated or applauded, but it was a recent and valid example that if a diver runs very low at depth (and there is no mechanical failure), there is a good chance that the tank will continue to slowly deliver air for quite a while on the ascent. It may also be relevant that he is a good freediver and also a competitive runner and was calm and did not exert himself (and of course he had the pony bottle immediately available if he needed it).

So perhaps this is one more "example" of a CESA that will never be counted or recorded by any agency?

BS. 1) You don't need to exhale. You only exhale for the test because the instructor needs to see the bubbles. IRL you only need to keep the airway open so that the expanding gas goes out that way. Science calls it the path of the least resistance. 2) 30 and 60 seconds needn't apply because at 10 metres/minute you need 60 seconds for every 10 metres. Scientists call this basic arithmetic. And last but not least 3) this has nothing to do with the urge to breathe and inhale water and drown because that is controlled by CO2 build-up and has nothing to do with air you have in your lungs when you start the exercise.
1) You do need to exhale. Try holding your breath and you will see.
3) I know the theory. However, how long can you exhale without the urge to inhale if you start your ascent right after a full exhale?
Try that, you will see.

Thanks, I don't want to engage in that kind of dialog either. Your basic point was that on ascent additional air can become available from the tank/regulator. That point is entirely correct and valid and it is one reason why it is best to keep the regulator in your mouth, so that you can slowly draw any air that becomes available. That one aspect is very important and could be the difference between making the ascent and not, so it should be emphasized. The physics or mechanics of the situation are not really relevant to the outcome, I just offered it because I see this apparent mis-conception repeated often.

A few weeks ago, I had a buddy who ran low on air at 90 (he went up earlier than me so he was alone). When I got on the boat, he said that when he signaled he was going up, he was already getting resistance on his regulator. He said he had never done this before so rather than switching to his pony, he just wanted to experiment and see how the ascent would go.

He was very surprised to report that he was able to do a pretty much normal ascent and even completed some portion of a safety stop on the dwindling air supply.

Not something to be emulated or applauded, but it was a recent and valid example that if a diver runs very low at depth (and there is no mechanical failure), there is a good chance that the tank will continue to slowly deliver air for quite a while on the ascent. It may also be relevant that he is a good freediver and also a competitive runner and was calm and did not exert himself (and of course he had the pony bottle immediately available if he needed it).

So perhaps this is one more "example" of a CESA that will never be counted or recorded by any agency?
My first reg was the same model that I used in OW class: Aqualung Calypso. Then, I learnt more about regs and wanted to sell it to get a more high end diaphragm balanced reg. But one thing prevented me from doing the purchase. It seems that with an unbalanced reg, being OOA is a process. It does not come instantly and you can feel it while with a balanced one, there are less warning signals. As I don’t dive deeper than 130 ft, the Calypso will do... for now.

3) I know the theory. However, how long can you exhale without the urge to inhale if you start your ascent right after a full exhale?
Try that, you will see.
I am just going to summarize points that have been made and pretty much ignored many times in this thread.
1. When your tank is getting near empty, it gets harder and harder to inhale, so you have a warning. It does not just cut out. Post #276 describes a diver ascending when he felt the regulator being harder to breathe and making it with ease, with no need to CESA.
2. When you exhale "fully," you still have quite a bit of air left in the lungs.
3. The US Navy tells divers to exhale fully before beginning their ascent.
4. If you do blow out all your air on the way up, if you try to inhale and still have the regulator in your mouth, you will get a breath of air. If not, you will at least no inhale water.

I have never done a CESA from 100 feet, but I am confident that I could make it easily. Ascending via CESA from 100 feet used to be a training graduation exercise for some programs.

Try that, you will see.

I'm lucky enough to have access to a pool and I start and/or end my workouts with underwater swims where I (try to) keep my airway open. I don't need to try: I know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom