Weighting When Moving from AL80’s to LP85

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to clarify this is in fresh water!

7mm Henderson thermoprene wetsuit
Diverite lt bcd
5mm hood

5 pounds of lead total keeps me down just fine

That's remarkable with only 5 pounds....Aluminum 80's are buoyant when near empty and the 7mm suit is buoyant Is your backplate SS?

I want to clarify this is in fresh water!

7mm Henderson thermoprene wetsuit
Diverite lt bcd
5mm hood

5 pounds of lead total keeps me down just fine
Do not get lp85's until you get a drysuit you are going to be severely overweight to the point where it will feel scary. Lp85 shine with drysuits not while diving wet unless you are bringing a keg to the party. I have a pair of lp85 and when i dive wet even with tanks at 250 psi on both I am still overweight.

I have found that I can use no lead with 2 AL80s and a razor harness in fresh water, but that's with a 3 mil suit and a well-used 2 mil hooded vest. That's also with a sizable canister light, 3 back up lights, and the assorted crap that we bring with us. I just would think that a 7 mil suit would be much more buoyant. But, obviously you've tested it out and it works for you, so that's great. You will definitely be negative in steel tanks, there's nothing you can do other than wear more neoprene.

In Mexican caves we adjust weight for freshwater because by the time you hit the halocline, you're deep enough for some suit compression. Still, I tend to 'bounce' off the halocline in sidemount a bit if I'm not prepared. For some reason this is more noticeable in sidemount than backmount.

Do not get lp85's until you get a drysuit you are going to be severely overweight to the point where it will feel scary. Lp85 shine with drysuits not while diving wet unless you are bringing a keg to the party. I have a pair of lp85 and when i dive wet even with tanks at 250 psi on both I am still overweight.

Yep! Getting dry suit training in April— looking forward to it— felt like the stinky kid last time wife and I went diving in north Florida— we were the only ones diving wet. Very different from Mexico!

Also, no backplate— I removed the butt plate on the diverite ls bcd.

Yep! Getting dry suit training in April— looking forward to it— felt like the stinky kid last time wife and I went diving in north Florida— we were the only ones diving wet. Very different from Mexico!

Also, no backplate— I removed the butt plate on the diverite ls bcd.
Im with you on that I dive wet primarily and I’m stationed in Florida, love diving dry so I’m finally making the investment. What dry suit are you looking at? When you dive dry with the lp85 do a end of dive check cause the cave fills up here are super negative and heavy but at end of dive the raver steel are neutral.

I dive an LTZ with 35 pounds of lift. In a full 5mm and 5/3 hooded vest I use no additional weight, except for lights, backup mask, dsmb/reel, etc. I have never felt overweighted even with an al40 for deco. I have OMS lp85s. But even with 3442psi hp100s I am fine.

For comparison, in a full 3mm with a single al80 on SS plate I use 4 pounds. I’m 6’2” and 220lbs. Not as lean as you but not by much.

My SS plate from OMS weighs just under 5 pounds

That's entirely a matter of opinion. I routinely dive a Worthington LP108 with a wetsuit or just a skin and I LOVE it. In fact, my profile photo is me in a skin only with the lp108 (first Key Largo trip after I was certified).

Just make sure you have enough wing lift to handle the tank. I haven't looked up the characteristics of the smaller lp85 but I have to believe it's more buoyant than the 108.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom