How deep have you taken your HOG reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Multiple Hog and dgx regs. Hundreds of dives between them. I have only taken them to 130 ft, but trust them in quarry at 100 ft 39 degrees and 3 ft vis. No issues with regs.
Only issue was trying to explain why we took them there, but it seemed reasonable at the time

Of course they still work at depth, but what about longevity on these budget regs? Who here has done a big number of dives on them or owned one for a very long time, and how has it held up?
My oldest one is 11 years old. In various configurations with me and students, it has close to 600 dives on it. Depths to 170 ft. Temps down to 36 degrees in Lake Erie and under the ice a few times.
Those 600 dives are a combination of me and students. That's on one of my D1's. It doesn't see as much use now because I have switched to sidemount for most everything except pool sessions. So my D3's see the most use.
Edd Sorenson had some (he still uses them now and then but is also using Deep Six which comes out of the same factory) that he used for well over 1000 dives in caves. As I hear, some didn't see rebuilds til around 500+.
I have had customers take them to 300 feet with no issues.
My regs now don't see as much use per unit because depending on what I'm doing, I have a dozen 1st stages and nearly 20 seconds. I'll grab whatever is handy.
These regs have now been around since 2008 or so. The bugs have pretty much been all worked out.
I know for a fact that there are some originals from 2008-2009 that are still going strong for the users. I service them for these people when they need it.
If they are properly cared for, they will last just as long as any reg costing twice as much. Treat them like crap, they will have problems just like any other. And I've seen some of those as well. When they come in, 99% of the time I can still service them and get them back to factory spec performance. Once in a while though, I can't do anything about the one flooded in saltwater and left in a bag for 2 years that has had most of the interior plating eaten away and is now pitted.

Of course they still work at depth, but what about longevity on these budget regs? Who here has done a big number of dives on them or owned one for a very long time, and how has it held up?
I've had my HOGS for maybe 8-9 years and have about 400 dives on them. No issues, except I dropped one and cracked the case, but bought another for $99.

Reactions: OTF
i would assume , he just wanted to know if they were dived in extreme depths( past rec ) ...and they were ok to dive to those depths with no problems

I have almost a dozen hog regs, most for 10 years or more. They are my tech regs and student loaners. It’s cold water up here......they take a beating. I service them as well. Perform as well or better than my fleet of apeks or scuba pros....

Took zenith second stage & zenith octo to 121’ last week on the Oriskany(deep check-out dives), it should be mentioned that I had to swap first stages with the dive master because my D3 1st stage had an interior leak out of the box. Leak couldn’t be fixed on the boat obviously because of the torque specifications.

Second stages breathed fine on a scuba pro 1st stage @ depth, though I sent everything back to the supplier due to unreliability. not sure of next steps at this time

Reactions: OTF
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom