Better book your 2021 trips earlier than later.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can I cancel that card now and start the wait now or do I need to keep it or a year, then cancel & wait - and how long is the wait?

I believe cards vary. We have had great success in talking to customer service of our various cards no matter the reason for the call, so a person can always call to get info about their card. We have kept cards until the annual fee (if it had one) was due and cancelled just before that. Several times, when we called to cancel, the issuer waived the fee for another year. They will charge it and then credit it back. We have recently received miles for using our card in various ways of spending - such as spend X amount by X date top receive X miles.

A few years ago I saw a news story about people who use spreadsheets to keep track of the credit cards they take out and cancel so that they can receive the maximum rewards - some people had 50-80 cards - now that's playing the game.

I believe cards vary. We have had great success in talking to customer service of our various cards no matter the reason for the call, so a person can always call to get info about their card. We have kept cards until the annual fee (if it had one) was due and cancelled just before that. Several times, when we called to cancel, the issuer waived the fee for another year. They will charge it and then credit it back. We have recently received miles for using our card in various ways of spending - such as spend X amount by X date top receive X miles.

A few years ago I saw a news story about people who use spreadsheets to keep track of the credit cards they take out and cancel so that they can receive the maximum rewards - some people had 50-80 cards - now that's playing the game.

The game of having lots of new cards got shut down by the big banks 4 or 5 years ago. Now it is at most 4 new cards in 48 months. Or more accurately 4-5 new hard pulls on your credit every 2 years. Read all the fine print before you try this. Some cards you have to wait 4 years. Some are one bonus in a lifetime.

If you are worried about making the minimum spend on a new card see if you can buy a $500 gift card at a supermarket with a credit card. Cost $6. Then use the gift card to cover your monthly expenses going forward. Compare the $6 cost to a free long haul plane flight cost.

I got 50000 miles for getting the Barclays AA CARD and another 40k from citicard when I spend 2k. I pay my house insurance so that's easy. I can get round trip to coz for 27.5k miles and $98. I cancelled the Barclays card and will reapply after required times up.

If I can remember properly, over the past 3 years or so we've grabbed 2 Barclay's cards when they offered 60,000 bonus sign-up miles (keep one of those cards to this day as our primary card). 2 Citi cards that offered like 50,000 miles each. 1 Citi business card under my wife that offered 70,000 miles. (next card will be another Citi business under my name but I'm waiting for the bonus miles offered to hit 70,000 again from the current 60,000). So, total bonus miles has been about 290,000 and we run EVERYTHING through the primary Barclay's card as soon as we meet the minimum required to grab the miles on the other cards. We cancel the other cards the year we got them then before the $99 annual fee hits the following year. Since we run everything we can through the cards that's around 30,000 miles per year so we're up to almost 400,000 miles over the past 3 years - all American Airlines miles that tends to offer the best routes out of Norfolk, VA. So if we stick to the Carribean or Hawaii, we're looking at around 60,000 total miles used per trip for us. That's enough miles for about 7 trips to the Carribean and/or Hawaii. Now, we do still get stuck with the international fees and those ridiculous baggage charges since our dive gear goes with us but it still certainly beats buying tickets for every trip.

If you fly American, listen to the credit card specials they pitch on the plane. Those are usually some pretty great deals with the annual fee waived the 1st year and next to no requirement to charge so much $ over the first 3 months or whatever. Grab one for everyone in your family you commonly travel with and start flying cheap. As soon as the bonus miles hit, cancel the other cards and keep 1. I've found the Barclay's Aviator card to offer the best benefits so we've kept 1 of those all the way through. We get a $99 companion fare voucher anywhere in the US every year with that card so when it doesn't make sense to use miles for a domestic 48 state flight 1 of us flies for $99 RT.

When if you find you've burned through all the sign-up bonus miles cards for 1 airline in the time frame before you can apply again, there's always other carriers you can start working through to bridge the gap until the time frames to re-apply reopen for your preferred carrier.

Also, don't listen to anyone who says multiple pulls of your credit report (within reason) will materially impact your credit score in an adverse way. That is absolute nonsense started by credit card companies who don't want you ditching their cards. May drop a couple points and then recover a few months later but that's it.

Like I said, I have been weak on the new credit card game. I applied for a United card, 40,000 bonus miles spending $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months account is open. I can do that. I recently got the $250 cash rebate on an American card, and come September I'll do a bank card with transferable 60K miles.

Any other good ideas? How often can you repeat these? Spending to get a mile per dollar does not appeal to me compared to 2% rebates.

DandyDon, I think you are doing very well. You have a 2% card for all spend not related to getting sign up bonuses. You can churn the UA and AA cards every few years. When you get a new one make the initial spend make sure the miles have deposited in your account then cancel to reset the clock so you can get a new one in a few years.

If you have a specific trip planned you can get a Hawaiian Airlines card for Hawaii or an Alaskan card for Alaska or where they fly.

It helps a lot if you can fly out of a major hub.

The Delta card is a one time bonus.

If one has a spouse you can double up on cards which helps a lot.

However, the golden era of 5 years ago when one could really milk the bonuses has ended. That is what I meant when I called you an amateur. That was the era of serious credit card churning.

Perhaps down the road, there will be something like a vaccination passport.
They could just stamp a special visa in your passport. A "covisa"! Ba-dum-tsh. I'll be here all year (probably... wish I could get my vaccination and go somewhere else).

For a timeshare owner, there are still plenty of studios, hotel rooms, and 1 bedroom units available starting as early as next week and every month through December. Also all are mostly AI resorts. Only a couple of 2 bedroom units were available. So I consider myself lucky that this past December we were able to (had to) book 2 weeks in 2 different resorts, both 2 bedroom and neither with a mandatory AI for late Nov/early Dec this year.

Although I would have preferred to wait, our friends called us one day and asked if we wanted to go ahead and get airline tickets (usually it's my wife who wants to get them as soon as they are available.) I relented since airlines are making it easier if there are cancellations.

Couldn't price compare since Delta has no flights going to Coz, United would have us spending the night somewhere, so American Airlines was our choice to get us there and back in about 6 ½ hrs each way. 42,000 miles for me and I was able to use a $125 off coupon that AA issued before the pandemic (but extended the expiration date on) for my wife's ticket making it $343. Thought that was pretty cheap.
American Airlines just stranded several hundred on a Cozumel to Miami trip, delay caused misused flight in dallas. Then stranded hundreds more on Miami to San Diego and other flights. Many spent 3-6 hours in line for rebooking and hotel voucher. American has devolved into Spirit airlines, but American charges double to triple what Spirit and Southwest charge.

American Airlines just stranded several hundred on a Cozumel to Miami trip, delay caused misused flight in dallas. Then stranded hundreds more on Miami to San Diego and other flights. Many spent 3-6 hours in line for rebooking and hotel voucher. American has devolved into Spirit airlines, but American charges double to triple what Spirit and Southwest charge.
That sounds like an extreme weather event. Was it? Nothing an airline can do about weather grounding flights. Customer service is indeed challenged these days as airlines laidd off so many employees many of whom have to be replaced and new hires trained. Welcome to 2021.

Did you see that United has added nonstop service LAX to CZM on Saturdays? New Nonstop flights from Los Angeles

American Airlines just stranded several hundred on a Cozumel to Miami trip, delay caused misused flight in dallas. Then stranded hundreds more on Miami to San Diego and other flights. Many spent 3-6 hours in line for rebooking and hotel voucher.

My expectations were/are probably different than most. When the pandemic started, I really didn't expect to do any traveling until sometime into 2022. Even though I have a couple of trips scheduled for this fall, I will not be surprised if issues arise including with flights. Flights are what they are but I'll still expect good customer service, although maybe not timely. In 17 years of 2 to 5 round trip flights a year, I (knock on wood) have only ever had 3 flight delays from a departure airport (2 from St. Maarten, 1 from Indy due to weather) that gave me issues in catching the 2nd leg of the trip. The number of daily flight travelers is still way down compared to pre-pandemic, so as @DandyDon indicated, airlines have cut down on employees - expect a different type of service.

Today's traveler better learn some new strategies, how to adapt to an instantly changing situation, how to use an airlines app, and how to relieve stress.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom