DAN vs. Dive Assure for dive and travel insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buy two additional weeks of coverage.
I asked the guy at DAN about this. His reply was "maybe, I guess." - I'm not going to depend on that. And the wording in the coverage is not clear to me either.

That’s what I have as Primary. It has COVID-19 rider that DAN doesn’t. I also have DAN dive accident. My health insurance also would cover overseas sickness.

I may be over insured, but it’s better than under uninsured, especially being in overseas during this pandemic situation.
Thanks Dan. I may go this route too. My husband and I both have the same BCBS medical insurance, but it might not be a bad idea to go with DAN for the dive and Dive Assure for the travel. I feel the same way you do. I'd rather be "over" covered than not have enough. Of course it'd be nice to have just the right amount, but so far I'm not finding it.

I checked that and annual insurance was $1,324 fr Voyager and one week Trip was $296

I have also had the same experience speaking with DAN reps. They can be quite terse. I think of DAN as my primary dive insurance provider and seek travel insurance from another provider. Dive Assure is expensive, in my opinion, compared to DAN, but it is good for liveaboard diving. For land-based diving, I stick with DAN for dive-related coverage. I have the Guardian plan. My health insurance doesn't cover me outside the U.S., so I always buy travel insurance. There is a great consolidated marketplace that I use to search for travel insurance, kind of like the Expedia for travel insurance, www.insuremytrip.com. You can find a plan that fits your needs by using tick boxes, then it gives you a listing of all the providers and their AM Best ratings.

Many of the resorts in Cozumel are offering deeply discounted hotel rates should you test positive before returning to the U.S. and need to quarantine.
When I look at the Dive Assure travel plan, it looks like it covers both travel and for diving, am I missing something?

When I look at the Dive Assure travel plan, it looks like it covers both travel and for diving, am I missing something?

This was in one of my posts in the other thread: ".......have looked into the DiveAssure travel insurance (have to purchase a DA membership as well) as it includes diving benefits, per trip." It would eliminate the need to purchase DAN dive insurance also.

Have just purchased the cheap Allianz Travel plan, $28, which has included Covid in the trip cancellation and trip interruption sections of the policy. Language used in the policy includes that if your return is interrupted by a covered reason your coverage will be extended - this would be "trip delay" and it is unclear, probably unlikely, that quarantining due to Covid would be covered, but there are expenses covered (not much for my cheap policy) under this section. If traveling restrictions were to stay the same by the time my travel to Coz happens - late Nov - I will call to get an update on that section of the policy. Also saw that scuba diving is included in the Allianz plan as long as dive's not over 60' or you're with a DM - I wouldn't count on the small benefit amount for medical to cover my diving. At this point I will re-up my DAN membership and dive insurance before my trip since I have the Alliance Travel. If I didn't have the Allianz plan I would have considered the DA plan due to covering both travel and diving.

This was in one of my posts in the other thread: ".......have looked into the DiveAssure travel insurance (have to purchase a DA membership as well) as it includes diving benefits, per trip." It would eliminate the need to purchase DAN dive insurance also.

Have just purchased the cheap Allianz Travel plan, $28, which has included Covid in the trip cancellation and trip interruption sections of the policy. Language used in the policy includes that if your return is interrupted by a covered reason your coverage will be extended - this would be "trip delay" and it is unclear, probably unlikely, that quarantining due to Covid would be covered, but there are expenses covered (not much for my cheap policy) under this section. If traveling restrictions were to stay the same by the time my travel to Coz happens - late Nov - I will call to get an update on that section of the policy. Also saw that scuba diving is included in the Allianz plan as long as dive's not over 60' or you're with a DM - I wouldn't count on the small benefit amount for medical to cover my diving. At this point I will re-up my DAN membership and dive insurance before my trip since I have the Alliance Travel. If I didn't have the Allianz plan I would have considered the DA plan due to covering both travel and diving.
When I looked at the Dive Assure "travel" plan, it includes not only dive accidents but travel interruption, cancelation, delays, and also COVID and quarantining. So my question is, do I really need DAN dive ins. in addition to below?
Policy Limit
$500,000
Emergency Medical Expenses - Diving Related
$500,000
Emergency Medical Evacuation - Diving Related
$500,000
Emergency and Accidental Medical Treatment and Evacuation – Non-Diving Related
$50,000
Covid-19 related daily quarantine expenses
$100/day(Up to the max curtailment limit)

I checked that and annual insurance was $1,324 fr Voyager and one week Trip was $296
Depends on where you live, which policy you purchase, and the pricing of the single trip you are covering.

So my question is, do I really need DAN dive ins. in addition to below?

I would say no - you'd just be doubling up.

Covid-19 related daily quarantine expenses
$100/day(Up to the max curtailment limit)

Are the quarantine expenses for during the policy period or do they extend beyond the policy period? In other words, in the example of testing positive for Covid just before one's return trip home, will it cover the Covid quarantining days that are outside the original return home date?

I would say no - you'd just be doubling up.

Are the quarantine expenses for during the policy period or do they extend beyond the policy period? In other words, in the example of testing positive for Covid just before one's return trip home, will it cover the Covid quarantining days that are outside the original return home date?
I am not sure, will need to see if I can call someone to ask specifically about that.

Please remember than DAN provides more than just insurance; they also talk to your doctors/medics and act as your advocate.
If you have a DCS problem, DAN absolutely wins on balance.
If you are only talking travel insurance, then the game is wide-open to much more thatn DAN and Dive Assure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom