Check this vintage ad out...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Fiat.jpg

fc7f45831d4e2b7c26201eba952e42bd.jpg

That would be a definite yes . . .

edface0ae93fd5fc12f8eef847a5c5f0--scuba-diving-dive.jpg

Does anyone recall these?

"The [Scubapro] Mark VII introduces a new integral reserve, more reliable than any other system. Utilizing only one moving part, the Audio system sounds off, when the air pressure is reduced to reserve level . . . 350 psi. You cannot forget that you are on reserve, as the alarm sounds with each inhalation.

"At the same time, the Audio system transfers a pulse or vibration that the diver can feel . . . a double warning. The Audio Reserve alarm signals other divers within a few hundred yards, that a diver is on reserve . . ."

Perhaps not surprisingly, there was a sizable recall of these "honkers," back in 1977:

WASHINGTON, D.C. (June 23) -- The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and Under Sea Industries of Compton, California today announced a recall of all Scubapro Mark VII and Pilot Mark VII scuba regulators produced since August 25, 1976. The regulators may contain a defective "O" ring in the first stage which could result in failure of the unit's audio warning device, or in a reduction in the air flow to the diver. In either event, there is a potential for serious injury or suffocation, according to the Commission staff . . .

Approximately 2200 regulators are being recalled. The Mark VII and the Pilot Mark VII retail for approximately $180 and $270 respectively . . .

There were some memorable dives, off "The Pinnacles," near Carmel, CA, during the 1980s, where a couple of divers were using those old Mark VIIs; and, by the end of the dives, sounded like a pair of fighting and / or mating Canada Geese . . .

1975-Scuba-skin-diving-couple-Canadian-Club-whisky.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 4.58.07 PM.png

"A reward for man. A delight for women. Smooth as the wind . . ."

fa50f8827c65d882998d0ba0f067a7e0.jpg

"You're so smart to smoke Parliaments" . . .

Must be magnesium-tipped to enjoy with that mermaid . . .

View attachment 638907

I recall that my father had one of these, as a beater; and it lasted decades.

Sadly, it's no longer "ticking," for those who recall those ads . . .
I had a Timex watch in the 80s and water got inside the crystal and fogged it. Being a smart young lad, I thought “I’ll get it out the same way it got in”

To get the water out, I figured a heat lamp would vaporize it and it would seep out the the same way it go in.

The resulting explosion sent the crystal bouncing off the wall and ceiling....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom