Scubapro Black Chrome Mk5 & 109.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank goodness for customization, 1957 Chevy

upload_2021-2-18_9-16-1.jpeg

Thanks for the kind words & healthy kinda hate @jale @Open Ocean Diver & @BoundForElsewhere

No worries & no hard feelings. Am actually not new to SB. I was a member since 2004 but stopped posting after my account got hacked. Decided not to create another one after that, as I was busy & didn't wanna disappoint fellow members with my delays in replying.

Anyway, I was more actively involved in the uwp section & not so much on others. I guess pretty much most of the members do not really know me.

I used to do a lot DIY stuff on the uwp stuff & some of my ideas actually went into production by certain manufacturers & are being used till today (but I did not get any loyalty or payment).
Example: The wet lenses adapter for camera housings. I DIY an adapter for my camera (Canon G7, new back then & with no such adapter).

I shared my idea & showed how it was done. Many asked & I was quite regularly referred by others.
PicsArt_02-18-09.57.06.jpg

PicsArt_02-18-09.58.45.jpg

PicsArt_02-18-09.57.56.jpg

Am not trying to blow my own trumpet but just would like to give everyone a brief idea of what I've been doing.

Anyway, I was pretty reluctant to post initially & then contemplated, knowing that not all will accept my ideas & customizations. Will also get some criticisms nonetheless.

However, I've decided to share like I used to with SB members (after reading some other threads on regs & diy, especially on the older models).

As I mentioned before, no worries & no hard feelings.

Anyway, I've achieved what I intended to do (just sharing my ideas & customizations with those who are interested).

I do keep those historical regs in their original looks or just with a minimum customization like the one below.

PicsArt_07-23-02.10.26.jpg

I know, some like things the way they are.

Cheers.

sometimes you have to cut the hood to put on a supercharger..... or put flames and side pipes in it... sometimes you don't. Each has their own ideas of what is best. Keep having fun doing what you like..

Hi Happy-diver,

Thank you for the comment. Yes, I do understand & have thought about the historical regs that I usually customized.

I've thought about them for a very long time before I even started to customized them. I am very aware that those regs are historical & that's one of the reason I like them. I purchased them, rebuild them & collect them, hoping to keep a part of the history & share with the younger generations. At the same time, I really like the older models much more than the newer ones.

There are reason why I customized & did so to some of the historical regs.

Firstly, the main reason for all the customization is to add a layer of protection to the historical/original units. Thus, preventing them from major cosmetic/structural damages & further maintaining the original looks. Example, with the inner ring (red), it actually makes the 2 pieces of lock rings tougher & preventing easy dent/bent, since there's no gap/hollow area.
View attachment 642766
An example - A rubberized protection on the outer rings & cover. Customized & sold these 2 to my younger generation students.

Secondly, I wanted those regs to have a different looks & colors instead of all just shiny chrome (except for this one, it's an original black chrome). Looking at the modern regs nowadays, am sure SP would have come out with different color variations back then, if their designers have thought of them.

Anyway, on this particular set, I've decided to put in a touch of red is because I'm not an Italian navy/army personnel. I'm just a recreational dive instructor & diving is my passion. I'm hoping by customizing certain historical regs, will create a sense of curiosity among the younger generations & interests them in wanting to know more about the historical part.

Lastly, I don't just collect them but I use them on my dives as well so I hope to minimize the chances of any damages. I spent a lot of effort getting them, rebuilding them & lots of time, carefully & delicately customizing them, not to mentioned the amount of money spent in doing all those things.

Anyway, those customized protections can be removed at any point of time without causing any cosmetic/structural damages to the original unit.

Aren't dive gears, diver's toys?

Anyway, thanks for the comment & no pun intended on my reply. Just sharing my personal opinion.
The blue/white one looks awesome!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom