DAN vs. Dive Assure for dive and travel insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please remember than DAN provides more than just insurance; they also talk to your doctors/medics and act as your advocate.
If you have a DCS problem, DAN absolutely wins on balance.
If you are only talking travel insurance, then the game is wide-open to much more thatn DAN and Dive Assure.

DAN did not act as my advocate. I had a DCS incident in Cozumel, several years ago. My doctor (Dr Piccolo) recommended an 8th chamber treatment. His wife, Heidi (who does his administrative work) told me that DAN wouldn't pay for it because they have a strict limit on the number of chamber treatments, regardless of medical necessity. Sure enough, DAN denied my claim for the last treatment.

I had 11 treatments at the international hospital. Dan would not approve over 7 unless I went to see Dr Gomez. After his evaluation, he concurred that I needed more treatment. Paralysis and other symptoms. Dan picked up $11,000 after our primary paid $44,000

I had 11 treatments at the international hospital. Dan would not approve over 7 unless I went to see Dr Gomez. After his evaluation, he concurred that I needed more treatment. Paralysis and other symptoms. Dan picked up $11,000 after our primary paid $44,000

$5000usd for each session ? holy sh*t balls. that seems extreme for mexico. is that typical ?

I have had to make a claim on my DAN policy a couple of times and they were outstanding in their performance. From my initial call, I was directed where to go for treatment right away. When I returned home, I submitted the claim form with the receipts and received full reimbursement in less than a month.

I have also called the DAN medicine doctors on occasion just to ask questions about dive medicine and they are more than happy to take the time to talk to you.

So you are saying that you had to pay upfront to receive treatment for DCS?

I would guess one needs to have credit card with a hefty limit to avoid delays in getting DCS treatments started instead of waiting for the insurance company to wire some money. I incorrectly assumed that a diver having DAN coverage would not have to pay upfront for DCS treatment.

I would guess one needs to have credit card with a hefty limit to avoid delays in getting DCS treatments started instead of waiting for the insurance company to wire some money. I incorrectly assumed that a diver having DAN coverage would not have to pay upfront for DCS treatment.
I agree. My DCS incidents didn't require chamber treatments, so my bills for treatment on location and the follow-up doctor visits back home were not more than a couple thousand dollars. These happened a few years ago, but perhaps back then DAN had a threshold under which you'd have to pay up front until it met a certain amount, then they'd proceed with wire payments. I hope I never have to be in the situation of chamber treatments or evacuation. The incidents I had were scary enough.

My understanding is that DAN Dive Insurance covers diving and they usually throw in some travel insurance features. DAN Travel Insurance is separate and is the typical travel insurance. I usually pair DAN Dive Insurance with World Nomads travel insurance, which has been cheaper than DAN Travel Insurance. I haven't checked to see what World Nomads have updated their policies to, in regards to Covid though.

Back
Top Bottom