Question for FL Springs Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaalex1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What do you use for exposure protection for OW dives at the FL Springs? Just looking at OW diving there, not doing caves, not technical for now.

Thanks!

I'd start with a 5 mil suit if you have nothing in your locker yet. Before I got my drysuit, I used a 3mm vest over a full body lavacore and that was sufficient for most spring dives. That said, people seem to have wildly varying cold tolerance. While I might do a 30 minute cavern dive in a drysuit, @The Chairman has been seen exiting a lengthy cave dive in shorts and a tie-die t-shirt.

A hood makes a HUGE difference (and they're generally cheap). I like to use hoods that are not attached to the suit myself, that way I can use the suit without the hood later if I want. I feel like they mess with my situational awareness for some reason and tend to skip the hood despite the extra warmth.

I'd start with a 5 mil suit if you have nothing in your locker yet. Before I got my drysuit, I used a 3mm vest over a full body lavacore and that was sufficient for most spring dives. That said, people seem to have wildly varying cold tolerance. While I might do a 30 minute cavern dive in a drysuit, @The Chairman has been seen exiting a lengthy cave dive in shorts and a tie-die t-shirt.

A hood makes a HUGE difference (and they're generally cheap). I like to use hoods that are not attached to the suit myself, that way I can use the suit without the hood later if I want. I feel like they mess with my situational awareness for some reason and tend to skip the hood despite the extra warmth.

I have a 3/2 wesuit, with hood, gloves and boots, and wondering if I can try combination at first

I have a 3/2 wesuit, with hood, gloves and boots, and wondering if I can try combination at first
I use a 3mm full suit usually with no hood or gloves, and add a gloves and a 3/2 shorty over it on occasion. But, as others said, it is very individual.
Respectfully,
James

Excellent advice from @grantctobin @kelemvor & @James79 . It's 72 degrees on the bottom and by your 3rd dive, you'll feel chilled.

I just wanted to add that a big factor is topside warmth to help your core recover. Even if it's 85 degrees topside, a jacket and hat makes a huge difference before doing the next dive. Also around the springs everything is shaded and tough to find direct hot sunshine right next to your table/pavillion/staging areas and that just makes it tougher to warm up. Pack the Hat!

What do you use for exposure protection for OW dives at the FL Springs? Just looking at OW diving there, not doing caves, not technical for now.

Thanks!

As @grantctobin and others have said, it boils down to how cold tolerant are you. My all around go to wetsuit is a 5 ml one piece. Generally speaking, Spring diving is a low effort dive so you are not going to be generating much warmth by moving around. This is really true if you are involved in classes or deco. If I am going to be in the water for a longer dive or in sandy/silty conditions I will add a hood. To be honest I almost always leave my wetsuit at least partially on between dives because I hate the feeling of cold wet neoprene. Good luck and be safe

You need to be calibrated. What other dives have you done wearing that 3/2, and were you comfortable?
(It really doesn't matter what I wear....I'm not you.)

Thanks!

I don't do caves, either. Just caverns, single tank open circuit.

I'm generally comfortable with slightly less neoprene than the average diver.

When I wear just a 3 mm in the springs, the first dive is barely okay, but the second dive is definitely too cold.

A 5 mm wetsuit or a 3mm wetsuit paired with a 2mm hooded vest should be okay unless you are less tolerant of the cold than average.

Back
Top Bottom