This guy cruised past us at Crescent Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were at 100' off the house reef in Bali, taking pictures of a pygmy seahorse. Last dive of the trip and was just me, my wife and the DM. All of a sudden I hear them getting excited just as I got good positioning on the seahorse. Snap the pic, turn around and a huge 15'+ mola mola drifted up out of the darkness and quickly drifted right back into it. 1st sighting at that resort! Was an amazing 3 seconds!! Alas no picture as it was so quick and 20' away from us at least!

Reactions: Dan
We see them often in Monterey, small ones, like 18” or so and if it weren’t for the devastation the SeaLions inflict on them there wouldn’t be room for anything else in the ocean.
5B3E1C15-F0FF-4F76-ACF8-D159939CBBAD.jpeg

Not sure if this one was spotted in the same Crescent Bay or not, but it looked like another juvenile Mola Mola.

Different species of Mola out there. The bigger ones you find in Asia are typically the Mola Alexandrini.

The ones most often seen in SoCal are smaller and not exactly the same.

Attachments

• 4CFADAA6-A5C4-4390-9B5E-2C1646AA6AE8.jpeg
    4CFADAA6-A5C4-4390-9B5E-2C1646AA6AE8.jpeg
    39.1 KB · Views: 45
Not sure if this one was spotted in the same Crescent Bay or not, but it looked like another juvenile Mola Mola.

The viz in that video definitely looks like the same Crescent Bay. A typical day is 15 to 20 feet. A great day is 30 feet.

Reactions: Dan
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom