Movie/Documentary My Octopus Teacher

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

12th Man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Not sure where to put this but I'll start here.

Netflix has a incredible movie/documentary called My Octopus Teacher. It's filmed in the South America cape. This photographer free dives every day with an octopus for nearly a year. They form an amazing bond during this time. He watches as a shark takes one of it's tentacles s and documents how it grows back in 100 days. His film covers her mating and eventual death after her off spring are born.

It's an amazing documentary, my wife and I loved it.

An absolutely delightful documentary. Superb filming and a real education. That sense of horror when she was attacked by the shark. All filmed, allegedly, by a freediver.

Highly recommended.

I thought the cinematography was excellent but I am skeptical about some of the content and how it was filmed.

Many of the scenes were prolonged and included the protagonist, which suggests that someone else was doing the filming while on Scuba. I also found it a stretch with respect to some of the emotions attributed to the octopus.

I do however think it was still a beautiful documentary.

I thought the cinematography was excellent but I am skeptical about some of the content and how it was filmed.

Many of the scenes were prolonged and included the protagonist, which suggests that someone else was doing the filming while on Scuba. I also found it a stretch with respect to some of the emotions attributed to the octopus.

I do however think it was still a beautiful documentary.
His son was mentioned as taking some of the footage.

Do agree that it looked far too professional. I really enjoyed it, and enjoyed it again when I watched it a few days later with the wife.

There was another documentary, something like "My life with the octopus" which was a guy who put a large fish tank in his home with an octopus. He, I believe, was recently divorced and his daughter wanted a puppy. As dad was a marine biologist, he outranked her to get the octopus. They both enjoyed its company.

It used to squirt them if it was annoyed!

It too was a sweet and pleasant documentary.

His profession was as a film maker, so I'd expect a more professional video than what I'd produce with my GoPro.

I wish it were more octopus and less filmmaker angst, but a lot of the shots were amazing.

The octopus riding the shark is unforgettable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom