Is it worth it? Big guy question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Half of my buddies fall into your general size. They all wear bp/w and almost all of this sort of rig includes a crotch strap, which will prevent that ride-up you describe. Just be aware of not tying your lead to you with the crotch strap.

Plates are available in several materials but if you go with stainless, you can likely knock 6 - 10 pounds off your weightbelt as well.

Find a tall backplate, it makes a difference! There used to be a company here in the US called Deep Sea Supply (DSS) that made long and x-long plates. At 6'-7", they were a game changer for me. Sometimes they pop up, but not a lot (tall & x-tall versions).

Honestly, the best choice right now for a single tank plate with your size is to get on the list for Eric to make you one of his Freedom Plates in a tall version. Look in SB for the discussion...

That DSS plate listed above is not a tall, and is not a best fit for you.

That ScubaForce option is a possibility.

No matter what, you will have to pay more than the short folks, and that sucks. I know that you already realize this...

Good luck!
Of course paying more is worth it, it beats being short :wink:

Most people here myself included are fans of backplate wing.

The best thing I can tell you is see if you can borrow or rent one, try it for a couple dives and see if you like it. The most important thing is that you are comfortable in your rig.

Find a tall backplate, it makes a difference! There used to be a company here in the US called Deep Sea Supply (DSS) that made long and x-long plates. At 6'-7", they were a game changer for me. Sometimes they pop up, but not a lot (tall & x-tall versions).

That DSS plate listed above is not a tall, and is not a best fit for you.
Interesting, it is a large and when I bought my plate, they only offered Small, Medium, and Large. But I used archive.org to look up the old DSS pages and you are absolutely correct, they later added Tall and Extra Tall options. The Talls are easy to spot because the sides of the plate are longer than the center section.

10004_IMAGE_MEDIUM.jpg

For anyone interested, you can see the full lineup on archive.org at DeepSeaSupply - Back Plates

One thing to note, backplates and wingamathings can be expensive but not always. The plate I've used most is an apeks aluminum plate that I bought new for $85. Wings go from around $200-$400, and a harness (including all hardware) should be under $100

Here's an example:
Wing: Hog 23lb 360 Wing $230
Plate: Apeks Backplate Aluminum $135
Harness: Dive Rite Harness For Backplate Deluxe $60

$425 for a totally respectable bp/w. That plate price seems high, I paid much less. Check with your local dive shop, as they might have deals.

You'll notice bp/w setups include a crotch strap. That keeps the waist belt (actually the whole thing) from riding up on your belly. As a big guy, I can completely endorse the concept as FATBOY APPROVED! You wear the crotch strap slightly loose, so it doesn't become a problem with the family jewels. Actually I wear my whole setup quite loose compared to what I see other folks doing. I like the adjustable harness so I can cinch it down when underwater if I so desire. Usually I just leave it very loose.

Rant commences:

Folks, if you aren't taller than 6'-4", stop making suggestions to this guy. You have no idea the issue with a plate that is too short (unless you have tried a youth sized one)... There is no reason for him to continue with problems that will continue to exist (jacket or plate) with an ill fitting rig.

Yes, the price for these "unicorns" sucks. We tall folks get that. Everything costs more to fit us...

Okay, rant over...

The give and take often results in more fully fleshed out answers. That's the whole point of internet forums.

FWIW, I'm happy when someone points out my mistakes. It means I'm learning something new and I won't be giving out wrong info in the future. If my post with the incorrect info is still editable, I go back and note the error.

Rant commences:

Folks, if you aren't taller than 6'-4", stop making suggestions to this guy. You have no idea the issue with a plate that is too short (unless you have tried a youth sized one)... There is no reason for him to continue with problems that will continue to exist (jacket or plate) with an ill fitting rig.

Yes, the price for these "unicorns" sucks. We tall folks get that. Everything costs more to fit us...

Okay, rant over...

ding ding, I'm right at 6'4" but have real short leg for my height. For years I swore I needed a Transplate style harness because of diving a normal length backplate. Not the case any more with the long pattern DSS plate I have.

@ouichef the top priority for you right now is to get something with a crotch strap and have it fit properly which will keep the rig from riding up. The long plate will put everything where it needs to be, but do not consider diving anything without a crotch strap

You'll notice bp/w setups include a crotch strap. That keeps the waist belt (actually the whole thing) from riding up on your belly. As a big guy, I can completely endorse the concept as FATBOY APPROVED! You wear the crotch strap slightly loose, so it doesn't become a problem with the family jewels. Actually I wear my whole setup quite loose compared to what I see other folks doing. I like the adjustable harness so I can cinch it down when underwater if I so desire. Usually I just leave it very loose.

Just as important as the correct plate is the adjustment of the harness. The belt should be on the hips and snug. The rest should be loose enough not to inhibit a FULL range of motion.
There are 2 different styles of harness to try, also.

Back
Top Bottom