Taboo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackfrogfeet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently started solo diving, after years of adherely strictly to a "team diving" philosophy.

The other day I had a realization that the single biggest thing that made me feel uncomfortable solo diving before, was just the stigma attached to it, especially by certain groups of divers who are vehemently opposed to it.

Anyone else experience this?

I recently started solo diving, after years of adherely strictly to a "team diving" philosophy.

The other day I had a realization that the single biggest thing that made me feel uncomfortable solo diving before, was just the stigma attached to it, especially by certain groups of divers who are vehemently opposed to it.

I have not encountered any such stigma diving in the St Lawrence. Is the attitude expressed by others related to safety concerns?

Yes. I’ve actually gotten a lot of pushback. I only got solo to mooch around at the local quarry. The fact that these divers freaked out more about me diving solo than cave diving is just weird. But these folks are warm water only vacation divers. Anything outside that is odd to them.

Welcome to the darkside, now begins your deprogramming concerning the "safety" of the buddy system...

I've not run into that myself. However, I've never been a part of a community of divers that were dead set against solo diving. The majority of folks I dived with before beginning solo diving were already either open to it or already practiced it on occasion. Now the vast majority of my dives are solo. Sometimes I'm 100% alone and other times I'm with a large group of divers diving with a guide but I have no identified buddy and thus I'm solo diving with a group. Occasionally I have folks glancing at me funny on dive boats with my AL40 pony bottle. Sometimes they ask me what it is and why I have it. But down here in South FL where the majority of my diving is these days there is so much solo diving going on that the community tends to be very open to it.

Only encountered it once when I wanted to tag along on a club ice dive but didn't feel like having a rope tied around my waist.
Apparently I would most likely die if I did the dive and laying line on my own rather than have a tender attached to me...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom