Go Fund Me set up for former Aqua Safari DM Chino...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepsea21

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For those who may have been diving over the years with AS and had the pleasure of diving with Chino before his Dr. told him he couldn't dive anymore several years ago (lost hearing in 1 ear followed by 2 undeserved hits - diving takes a toll when one has racked up who knows how many dives over a long DM career). He just had emergency surgery with 3 stents placed. Chino had a rough run for a few years losing his wife to cancer and being told he couldn't dive anymore or his next could be his last but he always kept his head up and pushed forward.

A Go Fund me account has been set up for anyone who may wish to donate something. I know I can find a few dollars to help out a great DM in Coz who had to semi-retire to snorkel tours but we were diving with him since 2002 and many here don't know him. He's still looking good with his always positive attitude even after the procedure.

I'll never forget when my wife had her primary o-ring blow at depth, Chino heard the pop, turned around and came rocketing past me as fast a dolphin to her as I didn't hear anything... He instructed her to stop, put his octo in her mouth, shut off her free-flowing tank, we went to the surface and upon surfacing told her to get another tank and get back in the water. Best advice ever! No time to worry about or think about what just happened... Just get back in the water!

Link: Help Chino get his heart back❤, organized by Leah Marcus

Capture.JPG

So kind! We all tend to take so many things for granted that we forget there are others who live in countries where there is no Social Security system, no hospital one can walk into and be treated in an emergency without having cash in hand, no safety nets at all. $20, $50 even $100 may seem like nothing up here as it is dropped so easily at the grocery store, on delivery food or even an oil change for our cars but in other places that $ is worth so much more. There's a reason you'll never find a Jiffy Lube in the 3rd world. I may not be a rich man but I got lotsa good Karma around me.

Sorry to hear about Chino.

Just wanted to make a correction.
Mexico is not a third world county.
Citizens do have a meager Social Security
There are hospitals that citizens can receive treatment throughout Mexico, including Cozumel.

I do not know what three stents cost in Mexico, but I can tell you that in southern Utah my husband had five stents placed with less than 24 hours in the hospital and the bill was $151,000. Stents themselves were $10,000 each. Cost to us with Medicare and a supplement $0.

Since donating I get gofundme updates from Leah. Here are the two latest updates, which gives some perspective of medical costs in Mexico:

Yesterday
"GREAT NEWS to share! Chino is home, taking it easy and feeling fine. He has some additional medications to take, but other than that he may go back to a normal life in about a week. In one month, he will have a cardiac stress test and if everything is fine, he may go back to workthe final bill was $13,491.65 (including doctor and hospital) Everything has been paid. Chino and his family are so grateful...really he says he doesn't have enough words to thank everyone. His Facebook page is Asuncion Mex Puc, and he would love to hear from you."

Today
"Update on Chino. Spoke with cardiologist today. Confirmed in one month he may return to work if
EKG and stress test are ok. Until then, he cannot work. Since all medical bills have been paid, this page is closed for donations."

The final donation level was $9080.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom